elkaholic

New Plans - They got the Wolves - now they want GRIZZLIES

anybody here read much ?

david brown-the grizzly in the southwest, the last grizzly

montague stevens-meet mr. grizzly

slim ellison-cowboys under the mogollon rim

rick bass-the lost grizzlies

bob householder-the grizzly bear in arizona

brown and his books have been the rallying point for the reintroduction effort since at least the early 1990's, books he wrote after the last southwestern grizzly was encountered and killed by wiseman in the sangre de cristo in sept 1979.

the last grizzly documented to be killed in arizona was by a government predator man on baldy in 1937.

lee

I think my Dad had one of those books. Also a book on Ben Lilly, who trapped, and hunted Bears/Cats in the Blue area. Unfortunately, my stepmother wouldn't let me have his book collection after he passed away.

One of these days I will have to get a copy.

el oso plateado

Its been less than 100 years since grizzlies roamed arizona.

What's your point?

This has been on the horizon for sometime and is no surprise. I'm no expert and I have been around bears enough to know that from personal experience the bigger the bear the more the attitude it has and the less likely it is to give way.

Wolves or horribilis are both plenty reason to be locked and loaded when out and about.

I'm sure that someone will come forward "again" to plead that we embrace this other introduction so we can be part of the big picture and play nice with the Fed's because we don't understand it as this gets crammed down our throats because we are all reactionary and misinformed.

• Like 1

Talk about reading - read Louis and Clark's diaries and their encounters with Griz. You won't hear much about wolves, which were prevalent during their trek, but the Griz had a profound effect on them during their travel to the Pacific.

On a separate note, I'd rather camp in Griz country and take my chances than Mexican drug runners.

What's your point?

This has been on the horizon for sometime and is no surprise. I'm no expert and I have been around bears enough to know that from personal experience the bigger the bear the more the attitude it has and the less likely it is to give way.

Wolves or horribilis are both plenty reason to be locked and loaded when out and about.

I'm sure that someone will come forward "again" to plead that we embrace this other introduction so we can be part of the big picture and play nice with the Fed's because we don't understand it as this gets crammed down our throats because we are all reactionary and misinformed.

my .02 if they keep ramming this stuff down or throats... As follows spot, range,dope,dial,breath,squeezeeee , and the levave a note " kiss my a$$ Feds ..!!!!!!

What's your point?

my .02 if they keep ramming this stuff down or throats... As follows spot, range,dope,dial,breath,squeezeeee , and the levave a note " kiss my a$$ Feds ..!!!!!!

What's your point?

my .02 if they keep ramming this stuff down our throats... As follows spot, range,dope,dial,breath,squeezeeee , and the leave a note " kiss my a$$ Feds ..!!!!!!

anybody here read much ?

Absolutely. My school of thought is , " little knowledge is dangerous" especially in bear country.

One of the best reads is , Stephen Herrero - "Bear Attacks their cause and Avoidance" -mandatory prior to your pre- Alaska backcountry adventure.

Mark of the Grizzly is pretty good too.

Coach, I'm with you I will take my chance with the Grizz.

post-898-0-53303700-1403238752_thumb.jpg

If and when grizzlies are genetically enhanced to prefer eating liberals in 9 out of 10 blind taste tests, I say let 'em loose.

Yummmm, liberals, the other pink meat.

• Like 1

I have wanted an excuse to buy a .454 casull revolver!

• Like 2

I have wanted an excuse to buy a .454 casull revolver!

No way Keith, :o I know you will call'm in and put an arrow thru one. :)

TJ

Although I do not support the reintroduction of the wolf, I would support the reintroduction of the grizzly in AZ. Although I am no expert I did a fair amount of research comprised almost entirely of "scholarly sources" about Southwestern grizzlies around the turn of the 20th century in one of my wildlife management classes in college. I think there would be some serious issues as far as carrying capacity with the development of civilization. I can't imagine any of the Chiricauha grizzlies coming back, however I think the Gila/Blue wilderness would be a fantastic area to support a moderate population of grizzlies. I think it is imperative to realize the success of reintroduction and stabilization that wildlife has seen since the 1930's and sustainability is very important, after all once a species has been eraticated theres no going back. Grizzlies should not be classified in the same category as wolves, they are very different animals and their hunting styles differ immensely, it is ludicrous to compare a predominately vegetarian omnivore to a strictly carnivorous pack animal that kills just to kill. Furthermore, there is little question that biodiversity benefits many other species of animals and plants which could in turn promote the population increase of our beloved deer and elk (ever see bear scar thats full of seeds in an area with no real ground vegetation).

I keep hoping they will delist the Griz in Montana, Idaho and WY like they did the wolves. How awesome would it be to get a lower 48 Griz?

Not sure there is enough truly remote areas in the SW to support a population of grizzly bears. I would rather have them than wolves though. Prefer neither.

Maybe the Grizzlies will eat the Wolves? One could only hope.

and a tree hugger for desert. They are probably soft and sweet.