Sign in to follow this  
Guest oneshot

"Strange" Actions by Hunters

Guest oneshot

In the Adirondacks of up-state NY the locals will carry their rifles by the scope like a suitcase, and un-loading their rifles (for "safety reasons"???) when more then two people meet-up in the MT's (all deer drives in groups up to 20people)... (I also saw this by the guides on the new show "Kodiak", along with them not loading their rifles untill they were looking at a bear and ready to shoot)...

Do you know of any other "strange" actions/customs by hunters???

Photo from 2012... My Rifle Buck from our Land in NY... Rifle is carried in the normal, port-arms ready possition, (except I do remove the sling when rifle hunting and put it in my pocket, yeah, prob "strange" heheh), loaded after I left my FJ in the pre-dawn hours...

post-1378-0-45722800-1401319819_thumb.jpg

Doesn't seem right to carry the gun by the scope, I saw the same episode. Never seen anybody do that. As far as not loading the gun until you see what you want to shoot, I always practice that. And to the best of my knowledge everyone I hunt with does. Too many accidental shootings, it can't go off if there isn't a bullet in the chamber.

• Like 1

ya we sit in the friken freezen cold weather to watch birds. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't carry the rifle by the scope but I do load it only when ready to shoot. I don't trust the trigger / safety at all.

I don't do the scope carry, anymore. 90% of my hunting is done alone anymore, son is too busy. I keep a round in the chamber and the scope on low power most of the time. It suits my spot and stalk style. If I get into rough terrain where I have to negotiate slippery or loose ground I empty the chamber.

I've witnessed New Mexico style road hunting. One hunter flanking each rear quarter panel of the truck, while the driver creeps the vehicle down the road. It seemed to be common as I witnessed multiple parties using this technique. Did not witness it being successful.

I had a rifle I used to carry by the scope. I only did it with that particular rifle for whatever reason. I guess it was just easy. I would usually catch and correct myself.

I saw the same group of 'hunters' a few different days last year parked on the side of a popular mountain highway, in a parking lot, in camping chairs WITH UMBRELLAS, glassing OVER the highway.and one was inflip flops. To me, thats as strange and sad as 'hunting' gets

I saw the same group of 'hunters' a few different days last year parked on the side of a popular mountain highway, in a parking lot, in camping chairs WITH UMBRELLAS, glassing OVER the highway.and one was inflip flops. To me, thats as strange and sad as 'hunting' gets

Nothing wrong with glassing from the highway.

how about laying down on your back, in the back of your truck and looking through your upside down spotting scope over the back of your truck so the animals do not see you sitting in the back of the truck? do they really act differently when they see someone in the back of the truck vs just seeing a truck?

I had the two guys flanking a moving vehicle in 24A years back on a nasty mining road - a kid and his dad while grandpa drove the truck. As they approached where I was glassing I put an orange vest up in a bush above me to let them know I was there. The kid proceeded to glass me up through his rifle scope. The last thing I saw before hitting the deck was dad swatting the gun down. I'm sure the kid got a stern lesson on that one.

On the road-hunter front, my boys and I were coming back from a pig hunt at the end of Jan this year along the Coronado trail, and the kids were cracking up at all the guys in trucks on the highway - bumper to bumper in full camo. One guy had a ghillie suit on. They got a good chuckle out of that. Always thought it would be fun to put out a 3D buck target and watch it turn into a pin cushion.

• Like 1

Hey I'm not complaining about road hunters...the lazier people get, the more area left for us more remote hunters.who wouldn't rather hunt where theres no sign of people as far as the eye can see?that's half the point of goin hunting for me. Just my preference, and that's why its strange to me

Guest oneshot

theyre from NY, they know more about designer underwear than deer hunting.

HEY!!! Ahhh Never mind... My boxers are camo...

I always get a chuckle out of the road hunters in full camo. Always thought they should be wearing saddle blankets or sheepskins to blend in with their pick ups interior.