Sign in to follow this  
Guest oneshot

Calling Elk, Good/bad Idea???

Guest oneshot

I hear of some folks calling Elk to get photos/locate before the season and it makes me think that it wouldnt be the best idea...

Does calling before the season hurt your chances on a Elk hunt??? Do Elk get wise to Calling??/ Kinda like turkeys/coyotes and other Game stop responding after being over-called???

Definitely not the best idea, its illegal I think in some states to use artificial calls before a season.

You don't want to call bulls in close before the hunt. I usually call while scouting but just enough to catch a glimpse of him, and then sneak back out before he gets close enough to spook. If there is any vantage points around to glass from, call from these to get a glimpse of the bull. I no longer carry a bugle anymore in the field, and it's worked out great!! Good luck

• Like 1

Calling elk even during a hunt usually ends up spooking them. It's very hard to get a big bull with cows to come to you. Plus he knows right where you are if one does happen to come in. I prefer bugling simply to get a response and then moving in and cutting them off. Don't even carry a cow call during the rut while hunting.

• Like 3

It depends on the unit, phase of rut, public/private, etc.

But in general, no need to wise up elk anymore than they are. Bulls move so much during the rut, thats its better to scout where the cows will be anyway.

• Like 1

If you do call, I would use a different call than the ones you'll have during the hunt. Like said above, don't wise them up anymore than they are!

And please leave the dang Hoochie Mama at home.

• Like 4

Elk are going to get talked to before, during and after elk season. Quite a few people, both hunters and non-hunters don't have tags but love to hear/see elk AND they live in elk country.

Elk calls are just another tool in the arsenal. Knowing an area and the behavior of the elk that live there is far more important than any call. I'd wager that elk calls have saved more elk than we'll ever know.

• Like 4

Rookie move for sure! Along with calling from your (fill in the blank) and driving away within seconds of letting a bugle rip. It never ceases to amaze me how lazy and stupid some people are!

Wow I'm surprised to hear some of the attitudes on this discussion. Just because an elk doesn't call back doesn't mean he isn't responding to your calls. I would agree that less calling is usually better than more, especially if you don't know what you're doing. The best takeaway from a novice caller is that if you don't have a tag this year, get to the field in September and just listen to elk talk. Getting used to their vocabulary will let you know what is appropriate as to when to call and when not to.

I've tried both calling and not calling because I'm new and know not to overcall so if anything I tend to call very very sparingly. I have had success talking to both cows and bulls and have called both into with 5 yards of me.

The honest truth is you have to learn somewhere. The first cow I called in about 5 or so years ago was with a hoochie mama. She and her 2 friends came within 5 yards, but couldn't find me. I didn't scare them. They looked for awhile and then went back to the herd they were called from. It is what it is. It was my first step in the world of calling.

I don't know if it's beginners luck I have with calling. I buy a call, research it, practice on it at home or in the car, practice it in the field with success, and then use it during a hunt. I've definitely found elk respond better to some calls than others. Could be the call or could be the user - who knows which.

Good basketball players let the game come to them rather than try to dictate the game with their style of play. Good hunters do the same thing. When hunting, if the animals are vocal and responding to calls, then call. If they are not, you will not have much success forcing "your" style of hunting on the animals.

As far as calling before the season, that happens a lot. Calling and spotlighting is a favorite pastime in many mountain towns.

• Like 3

Calling elk even during a hunt usually ends up spooking them. It's very hard to get a big bull with cows to come to you. Plus he knows right where you are if one does happen to come in. I prefer bugling simply to get a response and then moving in and cutting them off. Don't even carry a cow call during the rut while hunting.

j9wxoh.gif