Sign in to follow this  
Shedhunteraz

Anyone got info on the fire n of woods canyon

Trying to see if anyone on here has any insight to the fire north of woods canyon lake. Last we heard it was at 20 acres. These stupid people are going to torch the forest and we won't have anywhere left take our families or hunt. What is really disturbing wife was telling me some idiot stick had a fire going in the middle of the day with the wind blowing camped not far off the road and very near our housing subdivision. I just don't get.

They need to step up patrols or let people volunteer to patrol and give them authority to issue sitations. There isn't goin to be anything left by the time these morrons get done burning everything down.

• Like 1

shedhunteraz- if your wife seen camp fire - that should have been a 911 call

you cant fix stupid as far as people thinking - hey I can have a fire if I want-

stiff fines and jail time to think about it!!

HereEmergency Bulletins

Title

Woods Canyon Fire Starts near Woods Canyon Lake

Body

(Posted on May 21, 2014 at 5:13 p.m.) The Woods Canyon fire was reported at 10:15 a.m. on Wednesday, May 21 at 2.5 acres near Woods Canyon Lake on the Black Mesa Ranger District. By 4 p.m. the fire had grown to 150 acres and crossed FR 195.

Resources on the scene include a heavy air tanker, two Type 3 helicopters, one Type 2 crew, and several engines. Helicopters are dipping water from Woods Canyon Lake. Additional resources have been ordered. No structures are threatened at this time. The cause is under investigation.

Date/Time Reported: Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Cause: Under investigation

Size: 150 acres

Landscape/Fuels: Ponderosa pine on fairly flat ground

Follow the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests on Twitter (@A_SNFs) for instant updates on fire information, fire restrictions, and fire prevention.

Know Before You Go! To help you understand where and when fire restrictions and possible closures exist, there are several resources available. The public can obtain additional fire information via the following:

(Source: Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests)

Keywords

Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests, Woods Canyon Lake, Black Mesa Ranger District

Attachments

Created at 5/21/2014 5:13 PM by 9

Last modified at 5/21/2014 5:13 PM by 9

last update 150+ acres, 0% containment, Logan IHC assigned

I worked with Logan last year in Idaho, they are a good Hot Shot crew and get a lot of work done, if they can get the air assets to help them this fire shouldn't get out of hand too bad.

Was out camping last weekend, saw and smelled a few fires, one at a major Boy Scout gig, just have to shake my head at these idiots that think the rules are for other people and not them.

what if we used all the Forest Service money to clean up the forest? maybe then we wouldn't have to fight so many fricken fires.

• Like 2

Guest akaspecials

Just talked to a buddy up there. It was started on the backside kinda by the dam (as can be seen in the picture). Moving out towards Palamino Lake and Chevlon Canyon. He said it has crossed the 195 back there (the section that has been closed to vehicles for years). Also heard 150+ acres thus far.

At least there are roads into the area. I hope they close the forest soon....

what if we used all the Forest Service money to clean up the forest? maybe then we wouldn't have to fight so many fricken fires.

Won't matter. It's super dry up there.

Won't matter. It's super dry up there.

Well the res is dry too, so we can compare how many fires on the sitgraves compared to the wm apache. Their forest is so clean it squeaks.

Azkiller, your comparison doesn't compute, the Indians aren't stupid enough to start fires in dry windy dangerous conditions. Only us Non Reservation folk that seem to think they NEED to have a campfire burn our forests down. No amount of cleaning (as you say ) is going to stop fires if people are too ignorant when not to have one.

The warnings are all over, I even had forest service stop by camp to be sure we wouldn't have a fire. Seems like common sense to me but I guess some feel they can make up their own rules and take their own risks, and for what? because people don't feel like their camping unless they have a fire? I don't get why anyone would want to risk it and if a fire is what it takes to make you feel like your having a camping experience then that's just sad.

And by the way, I can show you Reservation areas that are way worse than ours compared to what needs cleaned/thinned out.

GBA

Azkiller, your comparison doesn't compute, the Indians aren't stupid enough to start fires in dry windy dangerous conditions. Only us Non Reservation folk that seem to think they NEED to have a campfire burn our forests down. No amount of cleaning (as you say ) is going to stop fires if people are too ignorant when not to have one.

The warnings are all over, I even had forest service stop by camp to be sure we wouldn't have a fire. Seems like common sense to me but I guess some feel they can make up their own rules and take their own risks, and for what? because people don't feel like their camping unless they have a fire? I don't get why anyone would want to risk it and if a fire is what it takes to make you feel like your having a camping experience then that's just sad.

And by the way, I can show you Reservation areas that are way worse than ours compared to what needs cleaned/thinned out.

GBA

as far as the ignorance Factor goes I remember a particular Indian that startedstarted a fire on purpose. and it isn't only in the end using the forest on the reservation. since you can't fix stupid, we might as well clean up the forest.