Sign in to follow this  
ClaytonTheUT

Unit 27 Archery Elk

Hows it going everybody! I live in Tucson and got drawn for an archery cow tag for this September over in Unit 27. I've seen some posts about 27 on here but was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers or tips and tricks on how to and where to find the elk in the unit. I'll be taking a couple scouting trips out but a good idea before hand would be awesome. Also, if anyone could give me some pointers on how to get up close to a big ol cow, that would be great. Thanks in advance guys!

I had that tag a couple years ago...tough hunt. Scout a lot, but be prepared because the cows disappear too once the hunt starts. :D We chased bugles hoping to find bulls with cows with limited success. Other hunters are generally very helpful when they find out you have a cow tag though...we got lots of good tips on areas where the cows had moved. And of course every bull hunter was covers up with cows blowing their stalks...

I figured it would be a tough hunt..I'm sure I'll see some guys out there though in September which would be very helpful. This will be my first bowhunt oddly enough ha

I have the early archery bull tag I went up last weekend didnt see much of anything its pretty dry a buddy of mine that lives in alpine said they haven't had a good rain since last September so hopefully some showers come through

Anywhere around Hannagan meadow. Also at the junction of 191, and Red Hill trail, and FS Road 26. There are some meadows, and ponds in the area and the elk come out of the cover, and the mountain off the southeast corner of that junction, and into the meadows. in the late afternoon. Backtrack up some game trails and try and ambush as they come out? My experience is before the fire. Not sure what is happening in that area since then?

In the north end of the unit ( above the rim ) You can hike one mile in any direction and you will encounter several

cow elk. Filling a cow elk tag in September shouldn't be a problem . Or you can sit next to my garden at dusk and fill your tag.

IF YOU PROMISE TO BAG AT LEAST TWO

Thanks Snapshot and photofool, that gives me a good idea of at least where to start. I have a map of the unit as well as the blue range. Any comments about the blue?

The blue is big rough country. You will need a horse or mule to pack out an elk if you kill one very far from

the one main road

Thanks Snapshot and photofool, that gives me a good idea of at least where to start. I have a map of the unit as well as the blue range. Any comments about the blue?

dude youre over thinking it, there aint no need to hike into the blue with september cow tag.

Chasing bugles to get you into the cows and excitement should not be much of a problem for you in September. The challenge will be getting to where the elk are wanting to go before they arrive so you are set up for a successful archery shot is the challenge. With some late August scouting you should be able to figure out a plan for success in multiple areas in case something goes wrong (which you can often count on with archery hunting).

Now if you were cow hunting in late October/early November I would say good luck without a guide or great knowledge of the unit. Most late season cow hunters I have been communicating with over the last few years have been very disappointed in their hunt and have ended up skunked. Our elk herd is down about 50% from the peak of about 1999 and the fire has not yet resulted in an improved calf crop figuring survival rate into the equation.

Dang really guys? I thought the farther from the road the better, but that's my inexperience talking ha. Glad to have you guys telling me whats true. So instead of the blue would yal suggest up above the rim?