Sign in to follow this  
Memac63

Unit 4A North early rifle cow

My wife got a tag in the leftover draw for 4A North, August 8-17, general firearms cow. From what little I've been able to gather I'm thinking either up north near the Little Colorado or down south near Sitgreaves National Forest, West of Chevelon Butte. I've also been trying to gather information on where the O'Haco ranch borders are, AZGFD says their west ranges aren't open to hunting until after August 15, the O'haco's seem to be very hunter friendly and have received several wildlife awards so I may write them to see if my wife and I might be allowed earlier access. I should have an opportunity to scout in mid June, does anyone have any experience or advice on this hunt?

Stay closer to the forest boundary and work the country northward.

The ranch is dissected by SR 99, which becomes forest rd 34. Everything east is open year round and you will find elk there. The west side opens up at the end of your hunt.

There are some hills you can glass from looking towards the north into the open juniper country. Hug the forest boundary, working those small drainages heading north and you'll find elk. Be careful not to cross the forest boundary as this is your southern border for the 4A north hunt.

It will be hot for this hunt so be prepared! There are tanks in this area, but this region doesn't get as much rain during the monsoon season compared to the higher elevations to the south. And those tanks tend to dry up faster.

Good luck!

I had one of the archery antelope tags in there last year. Spent a lot of time,saw a lot of elk. Pm me your phone # and I will share what I got. Also have a 4a map I bought, can't remember if it's a mytopo or a flatline. I'm willing to trade or sell. Let me know.