Sign in to follow this  
ciomber

spotting scope or 15x56s

I use 15s in that unit, works great, i dont hunt the pines there though.. I havnet once used a spotting scope in there but still carry it around. 15's are the way to go imo, especially since you have both eyes to use. The only reason a spotter is nice is to try to judge animals within 10-20" of what they really are.

what 15's you running?

Vortex Kaibabs.

What would yall recommend for Unit 23 late hunt? I've never had to use more than the scope on my gun, but I'm used to hunting back east in thick woods.

What would yall recommend for Unit 23 late hunt? I've never had to use more than the scope on my gun, but I'm used to hunting back east in thick woods.

If you like using a scope on your gun to look around at whats in the woods then please go back to the east.

• Like 1

Haha, I meant I only use it to see what the deer's packing once I see them. Not to do a sweep! lol I've never had to look more than about 50-100 yards on my farm because the trails are generally less than 20 yards away from the stands.

I have a unit 7e tag archery, also plan to hunt early archery deer same unit.

7E is the unit I've hunted elk in the most. There are some places where I didn't take any binoculars at all with me, just used my Leica rangefinder. There are some places where a spotting scope would come in handy though because there are some big hills to glass where the bulls go after people chase them out of the flatland/junipers.

Like said above, if you are just looking for a bull just stick with what you have. If you're trying to field judge you'll want a spotter. I don't ever use a spotter until I'm trying to find out if an animal is big enough to shoot.

23 is a great unit to sit behind 15's, 10's are a little under gunned in most of the places I glass in 23.

Just get all 3.

My Nikon Monarch 10x40's, and Nikon Fieldscope 82mm, and Minox 15's can keep up with the Jones, just fine! :)