Sign in to follow this  
Deserve2beworked

AZ Unit 6a Archery Elk

I'm a newbie to this site, but not to bow hunting. Blessed with an AZ 6a elk tag this year. Am a 65 year old, retired school teacher, DIY bow hunter. For elk, that is a tough call, being solo, older, with a lost step, and still shootin fingers. But, I have a diminutive wife who will call for me maybe every 4th day, she runs the camp, and will pack! So, am essentially trying to spot and stalk an elk. Have used other sites, but this one looks so supportive, so I thought give it a thread. Have called twenty people via Huntin Fool about the unit, studied the FS maps, and MVUM maps. Know now there are lots of elk, lots of hunters, lots of hunter friends, lots of ATV's, and lots of roads. Know the unit is big with Pines to the north end and PJ to the south end. Also, know there are "tanks" through out the unit. I called F&G, but the lady would NOT give me the name of the Unit biologist or warden. Said there is unit info on their website. Just trying to gather every bit of info I can before August. Will blend all the thoughts and ideas together for the hunt. Plan on being there a week before the season to scout and can hunt the entire two week season. Can ya' help me with advice? Will ya' help me with advice? Thanks

What grade and subject did you teach? A lot is riding on this answer.

Ps welcome to the site. You should post a few pics of some of your bow kills with a story, Helps some.

Welcome to the site! Lots of good information to be had here. There are several guys from Flag and Verde Valley on this site who spend lots of time in 6A, and I suspect some may be willing to help a bit. Of course, there is also 6ANut too! ;)

Sounds like you've done some homework. You definitely have many of the high-level basics down. I am no expert in the unit, but like many on here and who have lived in Arizona for MANY years, I've spent some time there from time to time. My son was lucky enough to draw a Jr. Cow tag there this fall!

The only advise that I would give is to check-out the Quiet Areas (Rattlesnake and Pine Grove). Putting a 1/2 mile or so between yourself and the closest roads into one of these areas is a great way to get away from the majority of the people!

Good luck!

S.

:)

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome guys, n gals.

6ANut, I did 32 years in the trenches. Front line teaching. The war zone. The place where without the tools you get carted away by the men in the white coats. Junior High, all 8th grade, 13 to 15 year old beings that know everything. Multiple subjects, mostly history, P.E, outdoor ed., math, drama, art. 15 years a basketball coach. A great career in a great rural district.

Chad! Of course, I've got great notes from the call.

Just looking for a pattern of maybe where to scout and areas to just plain avoid. I drew and mule deer hunt last year in Colorado 21/30 mule deer, bow of course, and my research worked, but I didn't plan for the hordes of people I was told I would experience. I didn't put huge numbers of people in the equation about where I should hunt. When you are 65 years old it is easy to have progressed from back country backpack hunts to back country hunts with my own horses, to atv's, to side by sides, all of which I have done. Now, my biggest foe is the PERMANENT CAMP! Takes two days to strike the camp! Ah, but the conveniences help me hunt two weeks straight, ie. home cooked meal, hot shower, comfortable, warm, and dry bed to name a few.

Now the word in 6A is a lot of people. So, I'm just trying to get all the info I can. I don't want to set my camp at the area some have said is the "Walmart Parking Lot". One guy called an area the "staging area" for archery elk hunters in 6A. Ah, no thanks.

6ANut will post a photo of my favorite packer.

Not going to your honey hole and if I do and I know it, I'll leave. Not going guided. Just going huntin'. Thanks for any tips.

6ANut, my favorite packer.post-12393-0-43686300-1398563529_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Figure roughly 800 tags and every tag holder having 2 buddies helping him and your looking at 2400 guys in 6a come sept. I've hunted 6a for 20+ years and my last tag in there was 2011 and I killed a 320" 6x. I don't put in for it anymore becuz of all the people. My best advice to you is be very mobile and be prepared to relocate from people and move around locating bugles.

Find a good waterhole with a lot of tracks or a good wallow and sit it in the evenings and chase bugles in the mornings. The highest concentration of hunters will be around Mormon lake and stone man lake and 6a west will be like a walmart parking lot on black fri.

There are still a lot of good bulls in there and you should be in action everyday. I like the southern portion of 6a but so does 350 other hunters. Good luck and shoot straight!

• Like 1

Thank you. Walmart P. Lot = 6a west, is that west of I-17?

This overcrowding is so common knowledge. Wonder why G&F doesn't cut back just a little on the hunter numbers. Can't be just $.

Passed on this bull up close in Unit 1, AZ. Whpost-12393-0-58891100-1398570417_thumb.jpgo is crazy now?

• Like 1

Thank you. Walmart P. Lot = 6a west, is that west of I-17?

This overcrowding is so common knowledge. Wonder why G&F doesn't cut back just a little on the hunter numbers. Can't be just $.

6A is managed for quantity not quality. Has been for years. That being said, there are still good bulls in 6A just as any other unit. Just harder to find. I have always hunted the southern portion. That started when the unit was still split. Southern portion was easier to draw. Seems to be a few less people. If you can hunt the whole season you will experience plenty of time without seeing other hunters. The first weekend is a zoo and after that it dies down. Picks up a little on the second weekend and is dead the last week...my favorite time to hunt. I have hunted 6A and 8 over the last 10 -15 years. Can't get a bull to come to a call in 8 but have had plenty of luck calling in bulls in 6A. The first time I set foot in 6A I had never hunted elk before. Called in a 7x5 and he passed me at 4 yards. I actually looked around for an escape route. Unfortunately, I had a cow tag. Lucky for me after 2 minutes I was surrounded by elk, 5 bulls and 3 cows. I was fortunate enough to shoot one of the cows. 1st elk hunt ever, done by 7:30am. Not bad for a guy that grew up in NY hunting whitetails. I learned quick. My avatar is my wife. The picture was on the cover of the 2012 Elk/Antelope regs. Her first elk. It was in 6A. Muzzleloader season.

Passed on this bull up close in Unit 1, AZ. Wh L1010949.JPGo is crazy now?

Here is my only advice, don't pass that bull in 6A.

• Like 1