capoeirajosh

leftover Hopi?

I had a leftover Hopi hunt tag for the East/West Sunset area a few years back. There's a simple reason even the Hopi people don't want a hunt that's set aside for them: few elk, if any. It's a depredation hunt that's been going on for several years to get the elk off the ranch there - and it's been mostly successful. It's not the entire unit, just the small subsection and there were heavy restrictions where we could camp, etc. My tag was good for any elk and the G&F guy I talked to beforehand told me to shoot the first elk I saw, even a calf, as I may not see another. I saw one cow in 3 scouting days and one cow with 2 bulls during the hunt, right as the sun was going down. I ran about a half mile to get into shooting position, but couldn't find a good shooting lane in the cedars before it got dark and they were gone. Never saw another one, but I did get a flat tire before heading home. Most of the hunters who were camped in that area hadn't seen a single elk during the hunt. All of that said, hunting elk is better than not hunting elk - and I guess that hunt technically qualifies ^_^ . Pretty much anyone on this board who would come across your thread already knows about leftover tags so I wouldn't worry you let loose some state secrets. Considering the odds most people are trying to beat to get elk tags, it's telling that most of these limited opp tags aren't applied for at all. Leftover tags are leftovers for a reason, but I'll be trying for one again this year.

• Like 1

/>I had a leftover Hopi hunt tag for the East/West Sunset area a few years back. There's a simple reason even the Hopi people don't want a hunt that's set aside for them: few elk, if any. It's a depredation hunt that's been going on for several years to get the elk off the ranch there - and it's been mostly successful. It's not the entire unit, just the small subsection and there were heavy restrictions where we could camp, etc. My tag was good for any elk and the G&F guy I talked to beforehand told me to shoot the first elk I saw, even a calf, as I may not see another. I saw one cow in 3 scouting days and one cow with 2 bulls during the hunt, right as the sun was going down. I ran about a half mile to get into shooting position, but couldn't find a good shooting lane in the cedars before it got dark and they were gone. Never saw another one, but I did get a flat tire before heading home. Most of the hunters who were camped in that area hadn't seen a single elk during the hunt. All of that said, hunting elk is better than not hunting elk - and I guess that hunt technically qualifies ^_^ . Pretty much anyone on this board who would come across your thread already knows about leftover tags so I wouldn't worry you let loose some state secrets. Considering the odds most people are trying to beat to get elk tags, it's telling that most of these limited opp tags aren't applied for at all. Leftover tags are leftovers for a reason, but I'll be trying for one again this year.

You are wrong. The Hopi tags are good for the whole unit.

• Like 1

Haha go ahead and apply for them guys. . There is usually a reason for left over tags for elk. The reason is noone wanted the tag in the first place! I get the part of people that like to hunt just to hunt whether they kill or not but these hunts take that to a whole new level. Go buy a side of beef for half the price you'll pay for the tag, gas, and food to get out there. And the money you lose from missing work.

/>

Haha go ahead and apply for them guys. . There is usually a reason for left over tags for elk. The reason is noone wanted the tag in the first place! I get the part of people that like to hunt just to hunt whether they kill or not but these hunts take that to a whole new level. Go buy a side of beef for half the price you'll pay for the tag, gas, and food to get out there. And the money you lose from missing work.

Nope. Hopi hunts are like a normal tag, you are talking about the limited opportunity hunts. Anyone that's wants a crack at them the best time to submit the app is the evening of the 26th. That way when the mail comes Monday your app is on top of the pile!

I never said they weren't a normal tag. I agree you can hunt the whole unit. But the hunt is still gonna suck is my point.

How would Hunt 3811(Hopi) 5A archery bull Sept 12-Sept 25 in your word, suck, compared to Hunt 3123 5A archery bull Sep 12-Sept 25? It's the exact same hunt!

I killed an elk on that hunt once. I mean, I was a dumb kid who didn't know how to do much other than walk and glass, but it worked out. It did require a scouting trip, where I never got out of the truck. And the hunt wasn't easy, I didn't kill until 9:00 AM. Admittedly, I got lucky, but there are elk there and I would rate it slightly ahead of the OTC hunts and on par with general hunts in most other states. Tough, but do-able.

I don't see how the Hopi 5a tag sucks. It's what I put in for this year without the word Hopi next to it. Same hunt I had 2 years ago and definitely didn't suck.

• Like 2

/>I don't see how the Hopi 5a tag sucks. It's what I put in for this year without the word Hopi next to it. Same hunt I had 2 years ago and definitely didn't suck.

Im right there with ya Willy...... my wife and I got 2 of the 5a bull Hopi tags the first year they had leftovers. My wife shot the first bull we called in and I shot the 13th bull we called within shooting range in a day and a half....... I think people are trying to discourage more people from putting in....... I hate when people lie like that. Just dont say anything no need to lie........

/> I had a leftover Hopi hunt tag for the East/West Sunset area a few years back. There's a simple reason even the Hopi people don't want a hunt that's set aside for them: few elk, if any. It's a depredation hunt that's been going on for several years to get the elk off the ranch there - and it's been mostly successful. It's not the entire unit, just the small subsection and there were heavy restrictions where we could camp, etc. My tag was good for any elk and the G&F guy I talked to beforehand told me to shoot the first elk I saw, even a calf, as I may not see another. I saw one cow in 3 scouting days and one cow with 2 bulls during the hunt, right as the sun was going down. I ran about a half mile to get into shooting position, but couldn't find a good shooting lane in the cedars before it got dark and they were gone. Never saw another one, but I did get a flat tire before heading home. Most of the hunters who were camped in that area hadn't seen a single elk during the hunt. All of that said, hunting elk is better than not hunting elk - and I guess that hunt technically qualifies ^_^ . Pretty much anyone on this board who would come across your thread already knows about leftover tags so I wouldn't worry you let loose some state secrets. Considering the odds most people are trying to beat to get elk tags, it's telling that most of these limited opp tags aren't applied for at all. Leftover tags are leftovers for a reason, but I'll be trying for one again this year.

You are wrong. The Hopi tags are good for the whole unit.

It depends on which hunt you're applying for. You have to read the notes. One of those on the leftover list appears to be the "Hopi Hunt in East Sunset, West Sunset, Meteor Crater, Twin Arrows, Two Guns, and Grapevine Hunt Areas in Units 5A and 5B North" That hunt is definitely not for the whole unit - read notes 4 and 6.

And I promise I'm not just saying that to keep people from putting in for it. You couldn't pay me to go hunt over there on those hunts. Yeah some might get lucky but just being out there to be out there and not seeing anything isn't for me. But if that's what gets you going then more power to you! Have at it.

• Like 1

Does anyone else get a bit irritated that if ur a Hopi Indian you basically have 100% draw odds on some hunts the we have 15% and have to wait several years to obtain. Price an archery bull hunt on any of the other reservations.

/>Does anyone else get a bit irritated that if ur a Hopi Indian you basically have 100% draw odds on some hunts the we have 15% and have to wait several years to obtain. Price an archery bull hunt on any of the other reservations.

True but they have like 1-5 of the total permits to put in for just none of them put in for them......