Sign in to follow this  
pwrguy

Muzzy Elk in Colorado

It seemed to make a difference for me. It was 1/2 the group size at 100 yards and much less ES.

I used volume to experiment and test but started weighing to fine tune.

Don't own a muzzle loader but I did want to say about the comment on shooting the first bull you see. I have hunted Colo. since 85 and thats total bull crap about not having good bulls there. Glass and be patient. There are some great elk there it just takes time and finding them. Good luck.

Show us some pics if these big colorado bulls you've been killing murph.

Why don't you show us pics of your little rag horns you're so happy to shoot.
Honestly. Show me a pic of a 300" bull you took out of Colorado if there's so many big bulls in there.

I don't know what your problem is. I never said I killed a 300+ bull there. I have hunted Colorado for many years for mule deer and I have seen numerous bulls 300 or better. You telling someone to soot the first bull they see is ridiculous. Why do you think you have the right to tell someone how to hunt. That statement shows your immaturity and lack of knowledge of Colorado. "Sometimes it's better to be quiet and thought a fool...than open your mouth and remove all doubt". This post wasn't for you to dictate how someone should hunt. It was to help someone get the right muzzle loader to hunt with.

"My self and my family have tc encores. They really shoot well. They come with fiber optic sights, but a peep sight is better through my eyes. Look into power belt bullets. They aren't the best bullet out there when you compare em to sabots, but the are legal in CO. It's either that or the old school Great Plains bullets. Also there's no pellets allowed so you need to use loose powder. I would strongly suggest blackhorn 209 as it is far superior to pyrodex (garbage IMO). It's a fun hunt, if you're drawing a unit that takes less then 10 pts to draw, shoot the first legal bull you see. Colorado is not a trophy state, even the best units in co (that take 15-20 pts) don't have the quality of bulls that even the worst AZ unit does. It's still a fun hunt, the raghorns think they're herd bulls (cuz they are) and bugle their tails off. Just don't expect a big one, if you shoot a 6pt you are in the top 1% of bulls that come out of there. My dad hunted the same muzzleloader unit for 15 years in co, they took 5 guys a year and shot atleast 4 bulls a year (they took 60 some bulls out of there over the years) and the largest one was a 260 5 pt. Have fun, enjoy the fact that you get to chase bugling bulls with a firearm and smoke one!"

This was my comment about the Colorado bulls. I don't see how that qualifies as a bad comment. The OP was looking for advice on Colorado legal muzzleloaders and Colorado muzzleloader elk hunts. I happen to have first hand experience with both. I appologize for causing Murph's little outburst.

Don't own a muzzle loader but I did want to say about the comment on shooting the first bull you see. I have hunted Colo. since 85 and thats total bull crap about not having good bulls there. Glass and be patient. There are some great elk there it just takes time and finding them. Good luck.

Show us some pics if these big colorado bulls you've been killing murph.

Why don't you show us pics of your little rag horns you're so happy to shoot.
Honestly. Show me a pic of a 300" bull you took out of Colorado if there's so many big bulls in there.

I don't know what your problem is. I never said I killed a 300+ bull there. I have hunted Colorado for many years for mule deer and I have seen numerous bulls 300 or better. You telling someone to soot the first bull they see is ridiculous. Why do you think you have the right to tell someone how to hunt. That statement shows your immaturity and lack of knowledge of Colorado. "Sometimes it's better to be quiet and thought a fool...than open your mouth and remove all doubt". This post wasn't for you to dictate how someone should hunt. It was to help someone get the right muzzle loader to hunt with.

"My self and my family have tc encores. They really shoot well. They come with fiber optic sights, but a peep sight is better through my eyes. Look into power belt bullets. They aren't the best bullet out there when you compare em to sabots, but the are legal in CO. It's either that or the old school Great Plains bullets. Also there's no pellets allowed so you need to use loose powder. I would strongly suggest blackhorn 209 as it is far superior to pyrodex (garbage IMO). It's a fun hunt, if you're drawing a unit that takes less then 10 pts to draw, shoot the first legal bull you see. Colorado is not a trophy state, even the best units in co (that take 15-20 pts) don't have the quality of bulls that even the worst AZ unit does. It's still a fun hunt, the raghorns think they're herd bulls (cuz they are) and bugle their tails off. Just don't expect a big one, if you shoot a 6pt you are in the top 1% of bulls that come out of there. My dad hunted the same muzzleloader unit for 15 years in co, they took 5 guys a year and shot atleast 4 bulls a year (they took 60 some bulls out of there over the years) and the largest one was a 260 5 pt. Have fun, enjoy the fact that you get to chase bugling bulls with a firearm and smoke one!"

This was my comment about the Colorado bulls. I don't see how that qualifies as a bad comment. The OP was looking for advice on Colorado legal muzzleloaders and Colorado muzzleloader elk hunts. I happen to have first hand experience with both. I appologize for causing Murph's little outburst.

The majority of your comment was informative. But you telling someone how to hunt and what to shoot shows you lack of grey matter. My so called "out burst" was directed at that. How you hunt is not how everyone else should.

I have to agree. I used 110 grains of blackhorn 209 pushing a thor 250 bullet for my Colorado mule deer hunt. Their website tells you the conversion. I bought a bunch of those plastic quick loaders with the screw on tops. I like those better than the ones with the press on tops because when you take the top off the power flies out if you are not careful. I measured out the powder loads on my scale at home and took them to the range in the tubes. Way more controlled and easier than trying to use a powder measure on the range. Less waste and more accurate. I took the same plastic quick loaders into the mountain. I do not put the bullet in with my powder. I rather carry them in another container.

Brent

I don't know if they still make them but they have what's called an EC loader. It looks like a revolver with 4 cylinders. It has a bullet starter built into it. You lift the starter, rotate the cylinder, and then slam down the starter and then use your ramrod. They are sweet. Holds 3 reloads in one unit. I'll see if I can find them online and post a link.

Advice it is, and I am sure its welcome. But, I pretty much disagree with everything you say, except that I would use a peep site as well. My opinion is to NOT shoot powerbelts at elk... just google it, many unhappy folks with the performance of that bullet. It explodes, and does NOT penetrate very well. I would not chance a shot at a deer much less an elk with a powerbelt. Do NOT shoot the first bull elk you see, unless its BIG :) If you have the full 9 days to hunt and are in decent shape (rough unit), you will do just fine.

• Like 1

They are legal in CO. Supply issues can be tough, especially later in the summer... so get sighted in now. Great review on the Thors. It is what I will be shooting this fall in CO.

I killed two mule deer with Thor bullets last year. Worked great. Deadly accurate. Great people to work with.

Brent

+1. I called them to figure out what size bore I needed and they sent me a free trial pack with all the sizes in it and instructions!! I was all cranked up to burn my pts in Colorado and ended up not drawing, so I guess I'll have to wait till next year.... Or the year after... Or the year after....

Thanks for all the great posts guy's. I think I might give thor a try, it can't hurt to have an extra option. I still have hopes of getting the large lead conicals to shoot decent, something about a 460 grain chunk of lead just excites me :)

X2 on the T/C Prohunter. Very accurate.

100 grns BH209, Thor 300's.

You might look at Parker muzzleloading bullets. I thought I saw on their website a bullet they were shooting without a sabot. They seemed like a small company that you could call and ask tons of questions. Just a thought if you're still having problems.