Sign in to follow this  
AZ_SAWBUCK

KUIU ULTRA 6000 vs OUTDOORSMANS OPTIC PACK

I recently won a new Outdoorsmans pack and am thinking about replacing it with a KUIU.

I'm kind of a sawed off s.o.b and the Outdoorsmans seems kind of bulky for my build. I like all the pockets on the Outdoorsmans and the stability of the frame as well as the material that it's made out of.

The KUIU 6000 is a slimmer pack that might fit on a pack horse better and seems that it might be easier to move through brush with. Not quite sold on the material though looks like to would tear easy in the wait a minute bushes that are common in Coues country.

Any input would be helpful. Thanks

• Like 1

Ive had the outdoorsmans pack for 2-3 years now and have 0 complaints! I had one problem with a strap on the waist belt but called Cody Nelson, sent the waist belt to him and he had a new one in my hands in about 3 days! Very comfy, weight rides great on your hips and you can pack more than you'll ever want to carry in it. My hunting partner also has the optics pack and he loves it too. We use them as our only pack whether its day trips or over nighters. We put lots of miles on our boots with these packs on.

Not exactly the same type of packs. The Kuiu stuff is very well designed to be as light as possible, I have an Icon. The Outdoorsmans packs are more in line with the Eberlstock packs. Both of them are built a little more like military spec gear, the only thing you could ever break on them would be the straps or buckles. The frame on the Kuiu is going to be a bit more fragile, you can break/crack carbon fiber not easily but it can be done. The Kuiu fiber is tough but as you mentioned it would be possible to snag where as the Eberle or Outdoorsman materials are like saddle cloth and are pretty bullet proof. But if it doesn't fit screw it no use in being miserable trying to make something work.

So my advice would be first call Outdoorsman and ask them to give you a quick walk through on how you could better adjust and set up the pack. I really think you probably need one of each if possible, an ultralight and a super utility pack.

In my mind the Outdoorsmans is the way to go, the pockets are great, it carries weight extremely well, and you truly cant mess it up. you may not notice it now but if you put it on and grab your hunting rifle with a swing on it, then put the sling to the inside of the little knob. this feature alone is enough to sell me on the pack. the sling will no longer slip off your shoulder, it just sits there on its own! I have even had to walk through lots of ocotillos and they just shed off, the codura nylon on the multicam pack is bombproof......just go with the outdoorsmans and don't look back, you wont be disappointed!

I bought the Outdoorsman pack before our Coues deer hunt last year and it's a great pack. Hauled out two deer and was very comfortable even with the heavy weight. The Kuiu pack is quite a bit lighter but at a cost and with the unforgiving desert that we all hunt in I'm not sure how well it will hold up.

Sounds like you wont be happy with the Outdoorsman pack. You better sell it to me for $250 and go buy a Kuiu ;-)

• Like 2

Well I would not say the Kuiu material is week, just not saddle cloth bulletproof. Mine looks brand new still, but I haven't run any races through the cat claw the two times I have had it out.

Well after watching these two videos on the two packs and hearing all the good reviews on the Outdoorsmans I think I'm leaning towards the Outdoorsmans. Those Kuiu packs are top of the line but might not hold up in the brush out here in AZ.

http://vimeo.com/m/67190099

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=ovcuU-KLBumCygGboYDQDA&url=http://www.youtube.com/user/KUIUultralight&cd=5&ved=0CDUQFjAE&usg=AFQjCNG5x4-LIn6uVAMV_EWUYjSplxAT9A