Sign in to follow this  
dvl4lf

Any youth drawn yet?

My understanding is that G&F is considering implementing a wait period (1 year, I think) for youth after they pull a tag in an effort to get tags to more kids. I believe youths on the wait can still apply for general hunts. Like just about anything else AZGFD does, I'm sure it will get soundly ripped on this board but personally, I think it's a good plan for recruitment and retention. Kids (and adults) who don't draw can be kept interested by hunting small game, scouting animals, shed hunting and other activities - it's not only about the kill and the reality is that there's not enough opportunity to hunt big game for every taker. Just my 2¢, ymmv.

• Like 1

My daughter and a friend of the family got drawn together for their first elk tag. First time applying, too. Not a junior's hunt, though. Like others, I knew the odds of the youth tags were stacked against them so I put them in for general cow tags. Needless to say, I've got two VERY excited kids on my hands! We haven't even gotten the tag in the mail, but I'm already feeling the pressure to get them on elk and tagged out!

/>My understanding is that G&F is considering implementing a wait period (1 year, I think) for youth after they pull a tag in an effort to get tags to more kids. I believe youths on the wait can still apply for general hunts. Like just about anything else AZGFD does, I'm sure it will get soundly ripped on this board but personally, I think it's a good plan for recruitment and retention. Kids (and adults) who don't draw can be kept interested by hunting small game, scouting animals, shed hunting and other activities - it's not only about the kill and the reality is that there's not enough opportunity to hunt big game for every taker. Just my 2¢, ymmv.

Who keeps starting these rumors? Waiting periods are not being considered as part of the Article 1 amendments. I won't go into why they won't work anyways because people don't seem to like it when you show them the math.

Let me know if any fellow cwt kiddos got drawn for 6a. I would love to help out another member this year. Everyone else is S.O.L. I have 8 bull tags to help on this year.

• Like 1

/> My understanding is that G&F is considering implementing a wait period (1 year, I think) for youth after they pull a tag in an effort to get tags to more kids. I believe youths on the wait can still apply for general hunts. Like just about anything else AZGFD does, I'm sure it will get soundly ripped on this board but personally, I think it's a good plan for recruitment and retention. Kids (and adults) who don't draw can be kept interested by hunting small game, scouting animals, shed hunting and other activities - it's not only about the kill and the reality is that there's not enough opportunity to hunt big game for every taker. Just my 2¢, ymmv.

Who keeps starting these rumors? Waiting periods are not being considered as part of the Article 1 amendments. I won't go into why they won't work anyways because people don't seem to like it when you show them the math.

perhaps some misunderstanding regarding the meeting minutes..

Motion: Harris moved and Mansell seconded THAT THE COMMISSION VOTE TO LIFT

THE NONRESIDENT CAP FOR JAVELINA AND TO APPROVE A ONE YEAR WAITING

PERIOD FOR YOUTH ONLY.

Commissioner Davis clarified with Chairman Harris that the motion was for the Department to

bring back some language and evaluation of the impact of a potential one year waiting period for

youth only, and that this was for the report only and not a determination to implement at this

point.

Vote: Unanimous

4 to 0

/> My understanding is that G&F is considering implementing a wait period (1 year, I think) for youth after they pull a tag in an effort to get tags to more kids. I believe youths on the wait can still apply for general hunts. Like just about anything else AZGFD does, I'm sure it will get soundly ripped on this board but personally, I think it's a good plan for recruitment and retention. Kids (and adults) who don't draw can be kept interested by hunting small game, scouting animals, shed hunting and other activities - it's not only about the kill and the reality is that there's not enough opportunity to hunt big game for every taker. Just my 2¢, ymmv.

perhaps some misunderstanding regarding the meeting minutes..

Motion: Harris moved and Mansell seconded THAT THE COMMISSION VOTE TO LIFT

THE NONRESIDENT CAP FOR JAVELINA AND TO APPROVE A ONE YEAR WAITING

PERIOD FOR YOUTH ONLY.

Commissioner Davis clarified with Chairman Harris that the motion was for the Department to

bring back some language and evaluation of the impact of a potential one year waiting period for

youth only, and that this was for the report only and not a determination to implement at this

point.

Vote: Unanimous

4 to 0

I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing that out. I followed the process early on and wasn't able to watch the January Commission meeting. It sounds like the waiting period is direction that came from the dais. Guess I need to stop calling it a rumor. Glad the waiting period for bull hunts is off the table. It would only hurt those of us willing to hunt on late season tags.

My son drew a early bull tag this year, ( just need to find out where now?) He told me several years ago, that he wasn't interested in hunting cows!

My son drew a early bull tag this year, ( just need to find out where now?) He told me several years ago, that he wasn't interested in hunting cows!

Most kids say this, how many turkey tags has he had?How many has he killed?when i take kids turkey hunting and they see 300 hundred too1,000 cows they change ther mind most of the time kids don't want to hunt cows is because the dads have ruined the kid, cow hunting with kids it doesn't get much better.sometimes we need to step back and remember they are just kids.

My son also drew a early bull tag this year. I will make sure and remind him about how fun cow hunting is, while we are chasing bulls that are screaming this year. I offered to put him in for the Juniors cow hunt several times, but after sitting at home and looking at the big bulls on the wall he set his goals on a bull. I guess I ruined him by hanging those big bulls on the wall and letting him set his goals a little higher than a cow.

He has 7 bonus points for Gould's, but has killed several turkeys in Texas. He has also killed a few nice coues bucks here in AZ, and a Javalina every year. Not to mention a hand full of predators. Not bad for a ruined 14 year old.

• Like 1

Interesting comments above. My sad testimonial is my son put my oldest grandson in a few years ago for his first big game hunting opportunity, a junior cow elk hunt. He was 12 at the time and unfortunately did not draw. As you can guess he lost interest and it is now debatable whether we will ever gain another family hunter ...... since he and his younger brother are now very focused on football and basketball.

I think it all depends on the youth...each is different and has different levels of goals and aspirations.

Can't paint with a broad brush.

My son also drew a early bull tag this year. I will make sure and remind him about how fun cow hunting is, while we are chasing bulls that are screaming this year. I offered to put him in for the Juniors cow hunt several times, but after sitting at home and looking at the big bulls on the wall he set his goals on a bull. I guess I ruined him by hanging those big bulls on the wall and letting him set his goals a little higher than a cow.

He has 7 bonus points for Gould's, but has killed several turkeys in Texas. He has also killed a few nice coues bucks here in AZ, and a Javalina every year. Not to mention a hand full of predators. Not bad for a ruined 14 year old.

I hope to ruin my kids the same way. I have a 4yo and a 3yo. boy and girl. They already like to watch stuff die on tv.

• Like 1

As a youth myself, I would like to say that cow hunting is a lot of fun, but I don't have anything to compare it to. I have called in bulls but haven't been on a bull hunt. I will probably start putting in for bull in a few years as long as I get a few more cows (I only have got 1 currently). The basic fact is that it is harder to draw a quality bull tag than a Jr cow tag, so it maybe that my dad and I would just rather be out there hunting elk more often and the way we can do that is that I have a cow tag.