HUNTnTAT2

wild pig. N. California?

I am looking to visit my good friend who is getting his PHD at U.C. Davis(Sacramento area) this summer. We'd like to do some wild pig hunting. Preferably on a free range & NON high-fence ranch. Spot & stalk hunt. Usually I am A DIY guy but I'm not gunna travel 1400 miles and x amount of money and not rule out uncertainty. Any members have any experience with this type of hunt?

I did quite a bit of digging on this topic a few years ago & gave it two different tries, both unsuccessfully. From what I read & was told by the ranger stations & Ca G&F, finding pigs on public land is hard to do. Most are on the private ranches with good feed & good water. If you're stuck on hunting public land, there's supposed to be some decent hunting around Lake Sonoma. I'm not sure how close that is to where you're going, but it's supposed to be one of the better public land options. Also, Ft. Hunter Ligget (not sure on the spelling) is a popular public land destination.

Among private areas, Choppers Wild Hog Adventures used to be the hot ticket. I hunted there once & it happened to be during the worst spring they'd ever had. Out of the 8 guys there that weekend, only 2 got shots & nobody tagged one. Chopper closed it down for a few years afterwards to let the herd rebound & the last I heard was that his place was open again & doing pretty well. The Tejon Ranch is also pretty popular. Choppers place is bowhunting only, but the Tejon will let you use firearms I believe.

The word I was given by some of the Ca hog gurus I talked to was that you'd have better chances of shooting a B&C blacktail deer than you do of getting a pig on public land.

Good luck.

Matt

Guest akaspecials

I've heard similar as what Mattys281 said. I got some buddies with private land in CA and they do well, but public land CA pigs are a HARD hunt according to them. Texas or Florida are the places for pigs, but once again. not much public land...

Several years ago in MX I was able to hunt with a couple of guys from Camp5. They were very nice guys, knowledgeable and good hunters. I would be surprised if they did not run a top notch outfitting operation.

http://www.camp5outfitters.com/testimonials.html

http://www.santaluciaoutfitters.com/Home1.html

I would be very careful of Choppers place, I hunted there about 7 years ago and my experience was not good. Chopper had a couple of buddies there who had been there before and they got the prime areas. We all paid the same amounts but the people who had been there before were the ones he catered too. We had 8 people I think and only 1 took a hog, 2 other missed from feed stands. There were actually 2 guys that left because they were dis-satisfied with the way he was running his operation. I would never go back.

Ron

I would be very careful of Choppers place, I hunted there about 7 years ago and my experience was not good. Chopper had a couple of buddies there who had been there before and they got the prime areas. We all paid the same amounts but the people who had been there before were the ones he catered too. We had 8 people I think and only 1 took a hog, 2 other missed from feed stands. There were actually 2 guys that left because they were dis-satisfied with the way he was running his operation. I would never go back.

Ron

I had exactly the opposite experience. I hunted there with the gal I was dating at the time & Chopper took the time to drive us around his ranch & point out the areas where he'd cleared brush to open feeding areas and a couple water sources where he'd been seeing hogs. As I said earlier, everyone in camp went home empty handed that weekend, but it was not for lack of effort on Choppers part or his staff. He had a guy named Cecil that was helping him out back then. Both worked hard to make sure we had the best possible experience. I'd go back again if I ever had the time.

Living in this shat hole state myself and beeing on quite few hog hunts....there is only one place to even bother with...Tejon Ranch....I promise you will have the time of your life !!! let me know if you want more 411 bud!

Right on. I couldn't find a website for chopper or much info other than forum discussions. Tejon in is a little steep @ $1200. I know its "THE place" They do a diy access only for $500 but its only certain weekends. At least that's what I get from visitg their site. Maybe hunt crazy in CA can give a little more insight. I have found this place though www.garciashuntingpreserves.com and talked to Jim. Sounds like a legit operation and he started a foundation for troubled youth. Giving them outdoor opportunities in honor of his son that passed away. If I can give back to something like this ill do it every time. Looking forward to what others have to say and hunting wild pig/giving back to some troubled hound men and women. I was once in their shoes.

Nolan Twisselman is in Santa Margarita couple hours south of where you will be, private land, no high fence 600.00 includes guide game care, lodging,.....meals not included. I hunted with him in Dec 13,my son came home on leave I called him with no notice and last minute and he fit us in. We both killed hogs mine was a BIG boar.

Public land hog hunts with reasonable odds of success are hard to find, Ft Hunter Ligget is an option but the hogs are smart because they are hunted a lot and you need to plan well in advance with the military. With out the ability to scout and only being able to hunt the weekends on the base really limit your odds of success.

Hope this helps.

I've done tenon and it was a great hunt. I did not tag out but I was with an archery guide and he did not exactly hunt the way I would. Yo this was my first guided hunt and I know better now to speak up. He was a great guy just not a good match for me. Two of the other guys got pigs the first day.

rcdinaz is correct Tejon Ranch is a great hunt I've been twice, once guide with 2 friends and we killed 3 hogs, once DIY with my son and we killed 2 hogs. There are only certain weekends that they allow DIY hunting and it's not year round. Guided is more frequent, I don't go anymore because of the fee 900.00-1000.00 guided includes everything, 500.00-600.00 includes nothing, you can camp on the ranch in a designated area or there are motels and Restaurants close by in Frazier Park.

Twisselman is about as good a deal as you will find.