love2hunt80

2-21-14 Ends a 7 year drought!!!

Well the 2014 Javelina Season has finally ended a 7 year drought of Not Being able to connect on a successful harvest of any big game!!!! I got off work thursday Morning around 530 am, grabbed my father who always goes with me, after packing for 2 hours hooked up the jeep and we were finally on the road about 11am or so.. pulled into the campsite weve used for 30+ years although being discouraged by seeing many People on the dirt road heading in. We got camp all set up and headed out to cut firewood but i didnt want to do any evening scouting due to the Javelinas being Hunted hard since Jan 1st and them being a little skittish.. Opening Morning came along and I was awake @ 445am, coffee was on and we were up.. after a few cups and some doughnuts, we were in the jeep on the way to the spot i wanted to go to.. we got to the spot and dad stayed in the jeep to glass since he cant hike that much anymore, and i headed out on foot, got set up in between some mesquite trees and some Prickly pear.. Got my tripod set up and glassed up some Does and a 1x2 buck. I sat there for about 45 Minutes and Heard something off to my left shoulder, looked slowly and there was a Pig @ 10 feet from me, tried to move my rifle and my glock 40 was too far to reach and he saw my sling move and he bolted over the ridge but stopped and could hear him "woofing" still.. I let out a couple woofs myself to keep him at bay until i could get on my feet then when the rocks crunched under my feet he was downhill running fast. Boom goes my rifle and hit right behind him, Boom goes another one and hit right in front of him, and finally i led him about a foot @ 221 yards and heard the Hornady 150 grain 30.06 connected and he took a tumble into a thicket of a double finger of 2 drainages at the bottom of a huge bowl.. Finally My streak has ended and being able to share this time spent with the Man that has gotten me into this when I was in diapers Makes the Moment all worth while.. Being able to take yet another Az animal is Just a bonus..

post-11317-0-69852800-1393262984_thumb.jpg

post-11317-0-98992700-1393263058_thumb.jpg

post-11317-0-50929700-1393263106_thumb.jpg

post-11317-0-03407400-1393263196_thumb.jpg

post-11317-0-83932400-1393263279_thumb.jpg

Awesome! Huge congrats on ending the drought. You're on a roll now, so next hunt it'll be 2 for 2! Glad your father was there to see it go down.

Congrats on your Pig. Amazing how sneaky those buggers are. Glad you got to share it with your Dad!

Way to go! 7 year drought? Your perseverance is inspiring. I am not seeing a single pig for a second javelina season and I am a bit frustrated. I am not giving up and I know I am getting closer. 3 more days

Thanks for sharing your story and congratulations.

Thank you & you're welcome everyone.. Mt Sourdough, stay after it, don't get discouraged, & if there is a lot of pressure there where you're at, look in the thickest cover possible