Sign in to follow this  
Couestracker

Updated-new pics. 3rd time's a charm-Chiricahua archery javelina

I had all 3 tags this year, hunted 37B for 3 days archery only, never got within 100 yds of one. The next week, I got my first ever archery kill (javelina) on a trip to Mexico. Then I couldn't go out on the HAM hunt, I stayed home and took care of Julie after her surgery. So I picked up a leftover general season tag in unit 29 and hoped everything went well with Julies recovery. She's been doing good, so off I went down to the Chiricahuas. I've never hunted javelina there, but have taken everything except a mountain lion and a coatamundi. Opening Day I hiked into a canyon 2 miles, on a "tip" from AZGFD. Didn't see any javelina or sign, even found the one water hole in there, but no tracks. Saturday morning I winged it and drove up into another canyon that had an old mine at the end. I glassed for a couple of hours and spotted a herd 600 yds away as the crow flies, across the canyon and 3/4 of the way up the mountain. Climbed up there after planning my route best as I could figure. When I got up there I had lost view of my landmark and wasn't sure if I was on the right ridge. Lucky for me I used some patience, stood still looking and listening. I thought I heard something in the bushes in front of me, where it dropped off a little into a small drainage. Then I saw them, 1 in the bottom of the drainage and 1 right in front of me behind some brush. They were feeding, but I knew there were more, as I saw at least 5 when I first glassed them. I had stepped up on a flat rock on top of the ridge just before I realized they were right there, so I made sure it was big enough for me to get a good stance. I hooked up my release and waited, looking around for the others. I waited 5 minutes or so, then I saw the one in front of me start walking out from behind the brush, so I drew, it stepped into the open and I released my arrow. I hit it a little far back, but it ran in a circle about 30 yards and piled up. Then all the other javelinas ran over to it grunting and woofing frantically, then started coming at me! I picked up a rock, threw it and started yelling and waving my arms. Then they all charged me, woofing, snorting and grunting. I started to panic...I drew my .45 mag, thinking I don't want to shoot any, but I'm not dying over this either! There were a couple of hawgs in that group of 6 or 7, and they're all coming at me! I actually cocked my pistol, and as the biggest one got within 5 feet, I swung my pistol at it and darned near hit him in the head. He ducked and went past me, but they were still right there, woofing, snorting and grunting - heck they were po'd! I kept yelling at them, then they finally moved off. Wow, what a rush! Well, my javelina was a sow, she weighed 46.5 lbs. After dressing her out, 36.75 lbs. So after never having killed with my bow before January, now I'm 2 for 2 and 2 in a row. Lucky for me it's National Margarita Day and I just happen to have lots of them!

Here's a photo from the field;

post-736-0-37238900-1393259540_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, back at camp;

post-736-0-62210100-1393259977_thumb.jpg

Look what I found down the road from camp;

post-736-0-98565900-1393260076_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That a boy Tommy. I wish I could have been there to see the look on your face when all them pigs were about to eat you alive. :lol: Congratulations on your pig. WOW, that had to be an awesome adrenaline rush. Made me think back the first time I ever hunted pigs with my recurve and shot all my arrows and then climbed up on a rock with my bow in both hands ready to knock them out one at a time if they were to attack me. Never was so scared in my life. :lol: Thoughts and prayers for Julie. Hope she's doing fine.

TJ

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! I updated with a couple of more pictures.

Congrats on your Javelina.....!! If those pigs would of been in camp you wouldn't of had that great story!! Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, being eaten was not on my agenda.

Awesome story! What kind of 45 mag do you have? I've always thought that was a cool cartridge!
It's a L.A.R. Grizzly. It's a lot of fun to shoot! I took last springs javelina with it in 37B.(story link) http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/38490-javelina-with-a-grizzly-45-win-mag/

post-736-0-96482100-1393969332_thumb.jpg

Congratulations on getting it done again! Cool story and great pictures.