Sign in to follow this  
Coues Kid

how long do you boil a skull

if you are married, try to avoid boiling your skulls in the kitchen. a friend of mine did that ONCE. OOPS!!!

• Like 1

/>

1 hour. Salt to your preference. Stir occasionally while on simmer. Add potatoes and carrots and serve with bread.+1 to all the above

Deerhead soup!

one recommendation I have is to wrap the bases of the antlers all the way to the G2 with tin foil so the warm water doesn't take the color out of the antlers.

• Like 1

if you are married, try to avoid boiling your skulls in the kitchen. a friend of mine did that ONCE. OOPS!!!

Have you ever boiled a skull that sat in camp for 4 or 5 days before you went home. That's a really special smell.

hard to control the temp with a fire, you'd be better off to use a Coleman camp stove or something along those lines, a turkey fryer burner works great

• Like 1

I like the yellow/brown look, so I just drop it under one of the fruit trees in my backyard and keep my neighbors' imaginations running wild! After a month or two, I simmer it for 30 minutes with a tablespoon of bleach to sterilize it.

If you really want to do it right... boil it till all the meat and brains come out, then soak it in acetone ( for a day or two) that will take the oils out of skull, then go to a beauty supply store and get a #40 hair bleach, Its usually Blue lettering. If they have the paste it works better. brush the paste on and let it sit for about an hour. if they don't have the paste use the liquid and soak it for a day but don't let it touch the antlers. the skull will end up bright white. I did it for my bear, and a couple deer

If you really want to do it right... boil it till all the meat and brains come out, then soak it in acetone ( for a day or two) that will take the oils out of skull, then go to a beauty supply store and get a #40 hair bleach, Its usually Blue lettering. If they have the paste it works better. brush the paste on and let it sit for about an hour. if they don't have the paste use the liquid and soak it for a day but don't let it touch the antlers. the skull will end up bright white. I did it for my bear, and a couple deer

Why would you bleach your bear and deer's hair?

Jk good suggestion, never heard of that method

Guys, the method below is the way my taxidermist does it.

Bleaching skulls

4-6 hr process

Take all skin off can leave bottom jaw

Get shallow (6"-8" deep pan) 18" dia.

Fill with water till it reaches top of eye sockets put rag over top of skull to protect antlers.

Get water to a boil add 1/4 cup of Super Washing Soda (sodium bicarbonate)

Boil for 2 hrs or so (do not let water get too low)

Keep adding water to maintain water level.

Let dry for 1-2 days

Get 40 volume Hydrogen Peroxide from Sallys Beauty Salon.

Paint Hydrogen Peroxide on skull with a 1" brush completely covering it. (not horns) let dry for 1-2 days.

Rinse off with a gentle spray of water - if not white enough you may reapply Hydrogen Peroxide over again.

Go to Hobby Lobby and (from puzzle area) get Modge Podge Semi Gloss glue....cover everything except horns with 1" paintbrush.

Let dry.

* Every skull gets new water.

All done.

Btw, it's the way I do mine and it comes out perfectly with all nose bones intact.

Also will suggest the tinfoiling of the antlers.

• Like 1

I just did my javelina from January. I boiled for several hours than de-fleshed, boiled for a couple more than de-fleshed. Than I soaked in heated hydrogen peroxided overnite and than I boiled for an hour or so in the hydrogen peroxide. All of the flesh fell straight off of the bone the last round including the cartilage around the nose. It came out quite well but that was alot of work.