dieselroe

134 Yard Archery Shot on 6x6

This all boils down to how much respect you have for the animals your hunting. Unless everyone's practicing at shooting at real deer with their bows all year, all these arguments are moot at best. This has nothing to do with skill at a certain yardage. If i only had a dime for everytime i heard from a guy that could shoot over 100 yards but yet in the heat of the moment couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a giant buck standing at 30 yards less alone than 140 yards. It just a simple measure of respect for the animals, unless someone's practicing on shooting at live deer , then their not practicing shooting and thier not as good as they think they are period. We all know the factor that gets thrown in when shooting at a live animal, mainly mental control, and when such extreme distances are attempted , the practice should fit the situation, not a orange dot on a target.

• Like 3

Some guys who practice long range shooting with their bows deserve to shoot at animals at long distances. With the technology of today's bows and the arrows a 100 yard shot is very possible. Fred bear was shooting animals at 60 yards with a long bow! What is the difference in shooting a deer at 136 yards with a bow vs shooting a deer at 800 yards with a rifle??

I just researched this Cam Hanes guy... What a beast! Anyone that says he doesn't respect the animal because he (or anyone else who trains half as hard as he does) shoots long distances just doesn't know, or is afraid to find out. I also challenge the haters to do as much for RMEF as he does. I say it again... If we never push the limits we will never realize our true capability.

We are advanced creatures, and we have all the tools to determine what is effective and what is not. We can use science and math to test things out. We already know that today's bows can propel an arrow fast enough to deliver an arrow with enough KE to get a laser-sharpened blade into an animal far enough to cause lethal damage. That's old news. We know the biology of our quarry, and where the best place to put that blade is in order to maximize lethality. That's old news. We have aiming devices and rangefinders that allow us to place arrows very accurately at distances beyond 60 yards. That's old news.

Again, I use Cam Hanes as a reference- he does some wicked hill climbs, sprints, and push ups to replicate the conditions so that he is ready when the time comes. I do a trail run with my bow around my club's walk-through range to practice shooting when my heart is pumping and I'm breathing heavy. I still have a 60 yard limit on my shots because I'm not proficient enough out further. Ethics in the distance you should shoot an animal with archery equipment is not any specific number, it's a personal assessment of your skills and practice sessions. I don't think you can fairly assume since someone doesn't stalk to within 20 yards that they have no respect for the animal. Very small-minded to think that way.

Couesmagnet- are you saying that the only way you can practice is by shooting deer? I would have to strongly disagree with that. People have been practicing marksmanship for quite a long time and I think that the more they practice the better they are when the time comes. We don't all live on a high-fence game farm in Texas where we can double-lung Corsican Rams and hogs daily... If that's the only REAL form of practice then I don't know how any orange dot shooter ever kills a deer. Blind luck I guess.

My issue is how can you even see the animal at 100yds through a peep. " aim small, hit small" I'd think the pin would cover the whole target, let alone pic a spot. By comparison, most ( if not all ) use atleast a 20x scope shooting long range rifle because of this reason. You dont, or shouldn't, see any bangstick guy shooting 500+ with a straight 3x.

• Like 1

If you cant see a deer at 100 yards through your peep then your bow may be setup wrong. It is way easier to see a deer at 100 yards through a peep vs seeing a deer at 800 with a 20x scope.

This all boils down to how much respect you have for the animals your hunting. Unless everyone's practicing at shooting at real deer with their bows all year, all these arguments are moot at best. This has nothing to do with skill at a certain yardage. If i only had a dime for every time i heard from a guy that could shoot over 100 yards but yet in the heat of the moment couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a giant buck standing at 30 yards less alone than 140 yards. It just a simple measure of respect for the animals, unless someone's practicing on shooting at live deer , then their not practicing shooting and their not as good as they think they are period. We all know the factor that gets thrown in when shooting at a live animal, mainly mental control, and when such extreme distances are attempted , the practice should fit the situation, not a orange dot on a target.

The archer that dedicates the time and energy necessary to consistently put arrows down range at long distances is same archer that studies his prey and learns its movements and when is the best time to put an arrow down range. I personally know several archers that can and have taken several animals past 100 yards without needing a second shot. They practice every day at long and short distances. DON'T for one minute think you know what's best for everybody, or every situation unless you are there. This armchair quarterbacking is really getting old. I for one am visiting this site far less than I used too simply due to your unwarranted and negative comments on situations you know nothing about. Everybody needs to take step back and wait for the story to unfold BEFORE the comments start flying..........................................Thread is done in MY opinion.

• Like 2

This all boils down to how much respect you have for the animals your hunting. Unless everyone's practicing at shooting at real deer with their bows all year, all these arguments are moot at best. This has nothing to do with skill at a certain yardage. If i only had a dime for everytime i heard from a guy that could shoot over 100 yards but yet in the heat of the moment couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a giant buck standing at 30 yards less alone than 140 yards. It just a simple measure of respect for the animals, unless someone's practicing on shooting at live deer , then their not practicing shooting and thier not as good as they think they are period. We all know the factor that gets thrown in when shooting at a live animal, mainly mental control, and when such extreme distances are attempted , the practice should fit the situation, not a orange dot on a target.

illguo.jpg

This all boils down to how much respect you have for the animals your hunting. Unless everyone's practicing at shooting at real deer with their bows all year, all these arguments are moot at best. This has nothing to do with skill at a certain yardage. If i only had a dime for every time i heard from a guy that could shoot over 100 yards but yet in the heat of the moment couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a giant buck standing at 30 yards less alone than 140 yards. It just a simple measure of respect for the animals, unless someone's practicing on shooting at live deer , then their not practicing shooting and their not as good as they think they are period. We all know the factor that gets thrown in when shooting at a live animal, mainly mental control, and when such extreme distances are attempted , the practice should fit the situation, not a orange dot on a target.

The archer that dedicates the time and energy necessary to consistently put arrows down range at long distances is same archer that studies his prey and learns its movements and when is the best time to put an arrow down range. I personally know several archers that can and have taken several animals past 100 yards without needing a second shot. They practice every day at long and short distances. DON'T for one minute think you know what's best for everybody, or every situation unless you are there. This armchair quarterbacking is really getting old. I for one am visiting this site far less than I used too simply due to your unwarranted and negative comments on situations you know nothing about. Everybody needs to take step back and wait for the story to unfold BEFORE the comments start flying..........................................Thread is done in MY opinion.

There are several people on here that don't agree with certain things being said or posted about with regards to many issues in the hunting world. To say i don't know what i'm talking about, just because i have a diff opinion than others , well i guess that's your opinion. I spend more time in the field than 95 percent on of the people on here , and have more experiences with a huge cross section of hunters in the field each year than most have in a decade. I say this not to brag in the least, but only to prove the point that i do have at least a clue to what i speak about with regards to hunting. I can't tell you how many times i've had guys that can shoot rifles or bows that were so superior to my skills it was almost embsarrasing, but when it came time to shoot at a big animal couldn't shoot or where shaking to much to draw their bows in the moment. This is what i was referring too with my post, the mental impact of shooting at an animal instead of a target. This is a huge diff, so what did i say that i didn't know anything about here, and what offended you so much? Is it because i have a diff opinion. Practicing at shooting a target in a calm situation is diff than shooting at a animal in the field isn't it? When i say that practicing shooting at live deer would be the only real way to practice, i was talking about the mental side of things. Please tell me how else someone could test the mental side of shooting at animals instead of targets, cause if there is another way to sharpen the mental skills of shooting long ranges, i'm up for it!!! I respect your opinion also, but in my opinion and that comes from a ton of experience, i don't think it's right or respectful. Sorry if this hurts your feelings. Are there any other older issues you would like to rehash that i offended you with, feel free to vent some more. I wouldn't want you to stay away from the site cuase of my opinions. What else have i said in the past that offended you with , be specific please.

I just think you may be skipping out on the many benefits of muscle memory in your assessment of the "mental control" factor. I understand that your large amount of experiences are going to dictate your perspectives on things. Why shouldn't they? That does not necessarily mean your experiences represent a one-size-fits-all on this issue. Most folks practice 98% with field points and 2% with their broadheads. Nobody does a 7 page thread on that one.... Why? It seems like that would be a better debate.

There are several people on here that don't agree with certain things being said or posted about with regards to many issues in the hunting world. To say i don't know what I'm talking about, just because i have a diff opinion than others , well i guess that's your opinion. I spend more time in the field than 95 percent on of the people on here , and have more experiences with a huge cross section of hunters in the field each year than most have in a decade. I say this not to brag in the least, but only to prove the point that i do have at least a clue to what i speak about with regards to hunting. I can't tell you how many times I've had guys that can shoot rifles or bows that were so superior to my skills it was almost embarrassing, but when it came time to shoot at a big animal couldn't shoot or where shaking to much to draw their bows in the moment. This is what i was referring too with my post, the mental impact of shooting at an animal instead of a target. This is a huge diff, so what did i say that i didn't know anything about here, and what offended you so much? Is it because i have a diff opinion. Practicing at shooting a target in a calm situation is diff than shooting at a animal in the field isn't it? When i say that practicing shooting at live deer would be the only real way to practice, i was talking about the mental side of things. Please tell me how else someone could test the mental side of shooting at animals instead of targets, cause if there is another way to sharpen the mental skills of shooting long ranges, I'm up for it!!! I respect your opinion also, but in my opinion and that comes from a ton of experience, i don't think it's right or respectful. Sorry if this hurts your feelings. Are there any other older issues you would like to rehash that i offended you with, feel free to vent some more. I wouldn't want you to stay away from the site cuase of my opinions. What else have i said in the past that offended you with , be specific please.

My position with regard to this post or any other post ASKING for info on what somebody said or heard is the people that make rash judgments without knowing the facts of the particular hunt. I understand and respect your comments on the mental side of the hunt as I have been there. I just don't like it when others make comments without any facts as to the situation in question. I can agree with you, live fire exercises are as close to the real thing as one can get. I had posted earlier about Olympic shooting, one of my training exercises was slowing down my heart rate and to take the shot between heart beats. The others that I also mentioned has this same training. When you stand in front of hundreds if not thousands of spectators during the championships it is like the big buck standing in front of you. I am not disrespecting any person or their comments, I just want them to wait until the story comes out with the facts before one JUMPS to conclusions and conjecture. Thanks for your understanding and not going off 1/4 cocked like some have. You sir have gained more of my respect with your civil reply,

Stephen Forrest

Well put scooter, i get your point, there might be less than 1 percent of archers out there that my broad brush doesn't apply too, and to those i apologize. I've talked to randy ulmer several times, and he is considered one of the best shots in the world, and even he won't take these long shots for the same reasons i have sated, and he's one of the best in the world. What does that tell you if it's coming from the gold standard so to speak. I can shoot very well out to 80 yards , but my max shot i am willing to take at an elk is 55. It's a personal call for each to make, that's for sure.

Coues187,

Someone just texted me a pic. I've contacted Pope and Young on a potential world record.

Standby...

post-898-0-38736100-1389906932.jpg

• Like 2

Can't wait to tell my story tonight.This should keep this going. I welcome you all to criticize and talk sh!t.I shoot a 4x4 buck today at 104 yards with my bow.It only took one arrow and it died with in 60 yards and no I wasn't shooting a rage broadhead.So let keep this going like a bunch school girls. Thank you and I'll get more popcorn out:)

• Like 4

I think most of the people who've voiced their concerns are concerned mainly because reading a post like this might "trigger" a bunch of people who are not pacticing or are not considered proficient at these extended archery distances to try it anyway "because I read somebody did it on CWT". Your fears are noted, but just because "Cam Hanes" does it does not necessarily mean everyone will try it. Hunting is a personal experience the details of which should be left up to the individual to decide what is ethical/unethical and what truly defines their hunting style.

As for ending the thread, I personally like the "drama" as long as it stays away from nonintellectual name-calling and remains an actual adult discussion where we can share ideas and experiences. You should, at this point in life, be able to push the BS aside and get to the meat of what people are saying and why they are saying it.

• Like 4