Sign in to follow this  
twowindy

Javalina in a cage trap

The whole area stunk.I thought about moving the set but I don't know if the smell would hurt or help.Maybe some of you other trappers out there would know.

I don't think Javi are on a bobcat's menu... ever. Maybe a baby one if there were no rabbits or quail left on earth.

While rabbits,quail and mice are their main diet I know for a fact they kill deer so I don't see why they wouldn't eat a javalina.We use skunk scent to carry the bait and lure smells farther from our traps.My thought was the javalina smell might do the same thing.I don't know for sure.Lions also kill javalina so I don't see why a bobcat wouldn't take a small one.

it'd be something different for them to smell- that's for sure.

• Like 1

I had one in mt cage that when I approached it began ramming the front of the cage over and over. After the 5th time he broke my spot welds and sent the front of the cage 30 yards cartwheeling it down the wash. He then ran off. I had another stupid one refuse to come out He was in backwards. When you put your hands by the cage he bites at you. I managed to pick the back of the cage up hoping he would fall out the opening at the bottom. FAIL. His legs went THROUGH the wire on the bottom basically lodging him there sticking in mid air. I had a fit and stommped off and slung the cage away. He was able to get out on his own a 1/2 hour later.

Only thing worse is a lion in your cage. I had one rip the door off the frame.... inward if you can imagine that.

• Like 3

Hyperwrx Did you move your cage or rebait the same set?I'm using the camtrip cages.I was impressed with how tough they are.

That javalina takes up the entire cage. You're lucky. In my 42" cages I had a javalina bang his head against the door so hard he broke my welds and send the front of the cage/door cartwheeling down the wash. He then took off.

I have had a few in footholds and releasing them is an outight joke. AZG&F wants you to choke them out. RIIIIIIGHT.