phillyphan

What rifle are your kids shooting???

Hey everyone, I was wondering if we could get a poll of what rifle everyone has their kids shooting. I just got into hunting with my son (10 years old) and my Dad gave him his first rifle, Remington 788 .243 with a Redfield Tracker 3-9x40mm scope. From what I've been reading it's an okay rifle for shooting deer, but I'd probably have to step it up if he ever went after Elk.

My boy shoots a 7mm08 weatherby vanguard youth model shoots 140 bowler partitions and has killed 2 cows with it one at 206 one at 316 both dropped in there tracks he also killed 2 muley bucks at over 300 yards hope to connect with his third next week

Hey Phillyman,

I purchased my son a Howa .243 (called the 2•n•1 youth model) which comes with 2 stocks. A small youth stock and as he/she grows up you can put the the larger one on. This past Oct. my son shot a cow elk with it and it did the job. The cow only ran 40 yards before she fell over. We were using the Federal Premium Nosler Partition in the 100 grain. They seem to have done the job. But as they all say shot placement is the key to any rifle you shoot.

I think the rifle your father gave your son will work perfect for many years.

JD

• Like 2

7mm-08 Tikka T3 Lite with muzzle brake. Still going back and forth on the load. Either 140 grain Barnes TTSX or 140 Grain Berger VLD. Good for deer or elk at reasonable distances (well within my son's range).

• Like 1

My daughter is shooting a Remington Model 7 in 243 and she does great with it. Taken deer from 250-305 yards with them dropping in their tracks. Of course shot placement is key. If and or when she draws an elk tag she'll be using my 280 with the boss brake system. I know the 243 would get the job done but we both feel more comfortable shooting the 280 at that sized game.

7mm-08 Tikka T3 Lite with muzzle brake. Still going back and forth on the load. Either 140 grain Barnes TTSX or 140 Grain Berger VLD. Good for deer or elk at reasonable distances (well within my son's range).

My daughter has a Savage Axis youth in 7mm-08 and I had a muzzle brake put on. Right now, it loves 140 gr TTSX over 95% RL-15. She absolutely loves shooting it and says my AR has more recoil (I smile and say ok). I agree with Rossi that its perfect for elk and deer within her range and then some as she practices more. Fit is always the biggest thing with kids. If shot placement is right on, a .243 will do the job on an elk. Seen a few drop from a good vitals shot. Definitely have him hang on to grandpa's rifle as those will be great memories with his harvests!

.270 - Rem. 700 BDL. Put a youth stock on it, fits perfect. When she was younger she shot the Core Lok Reduced Recoil bullets, less recoil than a .243. She now shoots regular 130 grain bullets.

My daughters been shooting a 25.06 since she was 10 2wt bucks and an elk by the age of 12

At age 10, my boy shot and killed his first javelina with his Weatherby 270 Win on Oct 11, then he shot my Kimber 270 WSM on Nov 9 and killed his first WT deer. I hope he doesn't think we are trading any time soon.

• Like 1

If he has good shot placement the 243 will be more than enough to take down a Bull Elk. My family has taken several over the years. My Niece has taken them out to 250.