Sign in to follow this  
pwrguy

Best all-around-tripod

I am looking for a solid tripod. My requirements are that it be sturdy fully extended and able to support a 12 pound rifle if needed. I am 6-1 and it need to be tall enough to glass behind. I am thinking maybe carbon fiber for the strength, but would consider other materials. It needs to articulate easily and lock into position at various points. Weight is a consideration, but strong and sturdy need to be there as well. Tell me what you use and would you recommend.

I love the promaster carbon fiber tripods 325c that I sell.

link to promaster carbon fiber tripod:

http://store.coueswhitetail.com/promaster-xc325c-tripod/

I also sell a Calumet carbon fiber that is a taller/sturdier/heavier tripod, but not sure the extra weight and cost is necessary compared to the promaster. That promaster is a great all around tripod.

http://store.coueswhitetail.com/calumet-carbon-fiber-tripod-8144/

I can PROMISE you if you get this http://www.feisol.net/feisol-traveler-tripod-ct3441s-rapid-p-38.html not only will it fit you, it will be the BEST tripod you've ever owned or will own. I've had this tripod for 3 years and it is hands down the shortest (when folded), tallest (when unfolded) and lightest tripod around. It is the best $388 I've ever spent on hunting gear. This tripod is strong, sturdy, and robust.

If you buy it and don't like it I'll buy it from you!

that's a great looking tripod Coues7. The carbon fiber promaster that I sell is almost identical, except it comes with a ball head, and one of the legs unscrews to be a monopod or great hiking stick if you want. It also doesn't fold down quite as small because it doesn't have as many leg joints. Oh and it's about $140 cheaper :). I am guessing the tripods are made by the same company and just sold under different names. The promaster has the same reverse leg folding design and just look pretty identical in construction.

Sorry Amanda, but read the post that Coach wrote about old guys. Another line is : There aint no way that I am going to carry around a 4lb tripod. :D

Sorry Amanda, but read the post that Coach wrote about old guys. Another line is : There aint no way that I am going to carry around a 4lb tripod. :D

the promaster only weighs about 2.5 lbs! That's why I love it. it's so dang light!

the promaster only weighs about 2.5 lbs! That's why I love it. it's so dang light!

When I clicked on the link it said 3.7 lbs, not quite 4 but close enough for campfire stories. :D

If you are wanting to stand and glass behind the tripod and shoot off it also, I would suggest a tripod that you can extend to the needed height without extending the center column. Be prepared to open the checkbook.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Material_Carbon+Fiber&ci=2636&N=4075788741+4291757687+4291757686+4294950354

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=itemlist&cat1=Tripods&cat2=Tripod%20Legs%20%26%20Leg/Head%20Combos&cat3=Tripod%20Legs%20for%20Still%20%26%20Video&Feature2=Carbon%20Fiber&Feature4=65.1%22%20-%2075%22

• Like 1

Amanda, what can you tell me about the larger tripod. The promaster is a little smaller than I was looking for. Is anyone on CWT using this tripod that can chime in here? Both of these use a twistlock system to secure the legs, how reliable is this and does it require a bunch of hand pressure? I have had better luck with the legs that have a lever or cam system. Also, where is the Calumet made, can you get parts for it? I cannot find much in the way of reviews on it? There must be a reason you chose to stock this paticular one.

Coues7, that looks like a great little tripod, but relies more on the center post for height than I am looking for, definitely looks like a great go-to tripod for someone that backpacks and every ounce counts.

I am definitely looking for some very specific things in a tripod, I am not new to this game, I currently have a Bogen and a tall Outdoorsman tripod. I am looking for something under 4 pounds. Thank you everyone for responding.

When I clicked on the link it said 3.7 lbs, not quite 4 but close enough for campfire stories. :D

I posted a link to two different tripods, one was the heavier one close to four pounds. But the four pounder wasn't the one I was saying was just like the one Coues7 posted. The promaster is about 2.5, the calumet is 3.7.

Amanda, what can you tell me about the larger tripod. The promaster is a little smaller than I was looking for. Is anyone on CWT using this tripod that can chime in here? Both of these use a twistlock system to secure the legs, how reliable is this and does it require a bunch of hand pressure? I have had better luck with the legs that have a lever or cam system. Also, where is the Calumet made, can you get parts for it? I cannot find much in the way of reviews on it? There must be a reason you chose to stock this paticular one.

Coues7, that looks like a great little tripod, but relies more on the center post for height than I am looking for, definitely looks like a great go-to tripod for someone that backpacks and every ounce counts.

I am definitely looking for some very specific things in a tripod, I am not new to this game, I currently have a Bogen and a tall Outdoorsman tripod. I am looking for something under 4 pounds. Thank you everyone for responding.

Calumet is based out of Chicago but they have the tripods made in China (like most everything nowdays). So for repairs or extra parts you would send to Chicago. The Calument 8144 is a great tripod....very sturdy and well made. It's just heavier than I like to carry, but if you are looking for a sturdier tripod, it's excellent. All the specs are in the store. But if you have other questions, please let me know.

Personally I like the twist lock legs better than lever locks. I find the lever lock tabs break over time. Haven't had any problem with twist lock systems. And no, it doesn't take a lot of pressure to twist lock them. It comes with a padded carrying case, which the promaster doesn't.

If you are looking for a very smooth and sturdy tripod head to go on the Calumet tripod, the Manfroto 701 would be good. It's heavier than the other heads I carry, but it's quality made and very smooth.

http://store.coueswhitetail.com/manfrotto-701hd-tripod-head/

I have both the promaster and calumet. Both serve their purposes. The promaster is lighter but flexes more. If you're only going to be using 15's and a spotting scope. I would go with the promaster. The Calumet has a max weight of 24lbs and it definitely shows, especially with the triclawps and a gun mounted. I have the manfrotto mvh500ah head and the calumet and it is the best combo I've used hands down. I've used other heads(jim white, outdoorsmans, slik and others) And I will never go back to those after using this. If 3.3 lbs doesn't matter to you compared to 2.7. I'd choose the calumet. Also don't short change yourself with a weak head. The 701hdv or the mvh500ah is the way to go. Good Luck

• Like 1

Amanda is it the 8144 or 8145? Mine says 8145 and I can't seem to find a 8144. Not that it matters I guess, just curious.

the box says 8144. Comes with a 5 year limited warranty.

Pretty sure it is going to cost you to get the weight and length you want. I am using a discontinued Benro that looks pretty much like what Amanda has on the site. It has been great. I agree about the cam lock legs, it is my only complaint about the tripod. I dont use them much standing, if I do I use the big Monfrotto with a pistol grip but I ain't carrying it very far.

Swarovski makes a few:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/swarovski-ct-travel-carbon-tripod-legs-only.html?gclid=CJqW1Lidx7oCFap7QgodYG4AwQ&ef_id=UnWHRQAABdX1ne-e:20131102231413:s

Gitzo probably makes some of the lightest, their basalt line and they have cams.

Slik makes some good ones but they only do twist legs.

Bogen makes some as well but they are going to be as much as the Swaro or the Gitzo.