What a great tag to have ! Lots of bucks not saying the back side of pinals is a bad spot its a great spot lots of country to glass also lots of people ! The whole unit holds whitetail

Me and Stumpsitter have the Nov 1 hunt. We hunted the north part of the unit last year.

Went up and over the pinals this weekend. Shorter distance but not on time. Nicer drive tho. Say lots of deer. Should be a good hunt.

Yes everyone should go on the back side of the pinals. BEST hunting in the whole unit..:)

• Like 5

My dad and I have hunted 24A for the past few years and luckily have both been able to harvest some very nice deer and in three different ways too! In 2007 my dad connected on a little 3x2 with his T/C .58 big bore muzzleloader at just over 100 yds, in 2008 I got a my biggest coues buck with my .308 Savage and in 2009 I managed to tag out on the last day of an October hunt with my .44 Taurus revolver. All of those deer were taken on the slopes of the Pinals and all of them were equally difficult in packing out! We always have gone in to the unit by taking HWY 77 south for a few miles and then turning right about 6 miles in. There are only a handful of decent camp spots that we could get into with the truck and trailer and all of the deer we have taken we had to pack out back to camp because there really aren't any good access roads that go far enough up for us to use. That being said, we ended up drawing a mule deer tag this year in 37B so if you would like a little better idea of where we have had success I would be happy to help you out with some precise directions and suggestions for that particular area. I wouldn't mind sharing the info with a fellow member via PM and seeing how we aren't going to be in there this year I wouldn't mind sharing a little knowledge to help a brother out :)

Just over two weeks to go. Went scouting last weekend. Saw a doe and a spike. Really windy but found some really nice spots. I'm planning on heading back up this weekend too and glassing more towards the top of the pinals. Who else has this hunt?

I have the Nov.29-Dec.8th hunt.

This is a great unit but there is TOO many tags in the unit! I started hunting the unit about 8 years ago and see less buck during the dec/jan archery season every year.......even in years when the rut is going crazy! That said, I usually see at least one stud whitey every year! Good luck on your hunts!

• Like 1

Good luck on your hunt. We did not do well in the northern part of the unit around Haystack. 5 days with 2 of us hunting and not 1 Coues buck spotted. Lots of muleys with 1 tall 3X3 buck.

Good luck on your hunt. We did not do well in the northern part of the unit around Haystack. 5 days with 2 of us hunting and not 1 Coues buck spotted. Lots of muleys with 1 tall 3X3 buck.

Same story for us, took my wife down haystack and didn't seea single whitetail buck.

Agree to the above. Too many tags. Even the past 5 years has really changed that unit IMO

That being said, good luck to the other hunters hope you see something

Took a buddy of mine out for his first tag ever. He had the November 1 hunt and only three days to hunt. We only saw does on day one and the morning of day two. Then that afternoon we saw a spike that bedded at face of rock outcropping about 3:30. My buddy got into position but the deer wouldn't get up, so with shooting light fading about 5:30 I told him to shoot the rock face behind the deer and it worked perfect. The buck jumped out of his bed looking back the rock face standing broadside. I was glassing the deer and saw him do a back flip and drop dead as my buddy hit him withh his second shot from a 7mm mag. I didn't get to the buck till after dark, we field dressed him and then packed him out not getting back to the truck till around 8. Lot of work for a spike but it was fun.

post-4190-0-58742900-1384783846_thumb.jpg

We saw nothing but doe everywhere on the south side of the pinals. We were there the entire time sun up till sun down. The wind didn't help. Oh well. Next year.