Sign in to follow this  
WFGinNM

Coues with a 7mm Rem Mag

I shoot 160 gr Federal Nosler Partitions for elk, and have been shooting some Federal 150 gr Nosler Ballistic tips planning on using them for coues. I'm comfortable with either load, just wondering what some of you folks with experience with coues would choose?

Thanks,

--Bill

Mark 5 300 Weatherby Mag I dont like to chase em let em drop where they stand

That would be nice, but I'm committed to the 7mm or my backup .243. :)

--Bill

That would be nice, but I'm committed to the 7mm or my backup .243. :)

--Bill

my father in law shoots a savage 7mm same loads as you when he does get a shot he does just fine good luck to you

I shoot a 160gr outta my 7mmSTW and it'll do the job just fine.

I'd go with what ever bullet your 7 shoots best. Coues are small targets.

I shoot 139gr. Hornadys out of my 7mm WSM. I shoot my last coues with the interlock and my antelope this year with an interbond. My backup gun is also a .243 as well.

I used the 150 grain remington core lokts in my 7 mag for years. then I switched to the ballistic tips. currently am using the remingtom ballistics but I dont think the winchesters are much different. CB

As other have said any load that shoot well will do the job on coues!

I shoot a 160gr Nosler Partition from my 7mm Weatherby mag as my back up. My primary rifle shoots a 180gr NP from my 300 Weatherby mag. They have Identical trajectories. :)

Longshot

Can't wait for the season to start!!

222, 243, 270.....

Stick with the ballistic tips for those big rounds with Coues deer! That way you don't just poke a hole through.

I have used the 150 BT from 7 Mag and 280 to take half a dozen coues. Bloodshot has not been bad with the broadside lung shots. No recovered bullets. Have also had similar results with the 130 BT in a 270.

Doug~RR

Thanks for the replies and help. With coues season over for me and not a shot fired I can save the 150's for '08 when I try for coues again (I hope). Time to get the 7mm ready with the 160 partitions for the December cow elk hunt, and then probably use the same 160's for Blacktail on Kodiak next November.

--Bill

Shoot whatever ammo your rifle likes best. Don't knock the 7mm Remington Magnum. I have taken everything from pygmy African antelope the size of a jackrabbit to moose and eland with mine. It's more than I need for deer the size of a Coues buck, but I'd still use it.

Bill Quimby

I'm new to the big gun game and didn't know much about the possibility of too much bullet. Last year I shot a coues center mass with a 7mm rem mag and 150 gr nosler partition.. Deer dropped in its tracks.. 2 hours later when I got over to the deer it got up like a pheasant and took off down the hill right at dark. Never found the deer. I must have punched a clean hole right through the liver :( Since then I've decided for smaller big game, I'm never shooting a bullet without a ballistic tip again.

Good luck