Gduncan

My first time hunting Coues deer or unit 36A

I haven't deer hunted in over 35 years and picked up a Marlin X7 in 7mm-08 on sale last winter and ended up drawing a nov 8 whitetail tag in 36A. Last AZ hunt was in 1969 in unit 29 with my dad who took a nice muley. Otherwise only a handful of deer hunts in Oklahoma. Wife and I started hunting for access two weekends ago, picked an area and started scouting it last Sunday. We spotted three does that two of them stood for 3~4 minutes looking at us at 85 yards. I read that glassing is key for Coues and have a pair of Nikon 10x42's that will have to do for this season. A new Nikon 4-12x40 BDC should be arriving tomorrow and get sighted in on Saturday and then target practicing every weekend that I can until my hunt.

The ammo I have on hand is Barnes 120g TTSX, If I can shoot well enough, will this work with the longer distances of 300-500 yards that I'm reading is common when hunting Coues? Or should I be looking for a heavier grain bullet?

Make sure you mount those 10 bys on a tripod, it makes a world of difference.

I've taken 5 coues and only one of them was over 300 yards. Just make sure you know where your rifle shoots out to 500 and you'll be fine. I love the TTSX, they punch above their weight. 120 grain TTSX out of your 7mm-08 will put the smack down on a 90 lbs buck.

We spotted three does that two of them stood for 3~4 minutes looking at us at 85 yards.

the bucks won't do this ^^^

• Like 2

G- you have the right idea getting out and scouting. if you do not see some bucks before the season. you will be much less likely to score during the seasoon. glassing is a good technique, usually you need to climb a mtn first to get where they are. the 7mm-08 cartridge has plenty of power. the question i have is the marlin capable of the accuracy needed for a 300-500 yd shot. what kind of groups are you getting at 200 yd? i prefer tikka, sako or remington ?

The Bullet Will Work Wonderfully If You Find A Buck To Put It Through.... I've Killed Several With A Ttsx, Although Flying Much Quicker From A 257 Wby.

• Like 1

Thanks for the Welcome and the replies!

Yes, I didn't figure the bucks would stand still that long either especially by the time of my hunt on Nov. 8.

I have a tripod that's not too heavy to pack (at least I think so until I've done it) and a bipod shooting stick that either one should help out when glassing once I get the adapter to mount the Nikon Monarchs on them.

I'm not as concerned with the accuracy of the Marlin as I am with me! It was picked as best in the December 2012 - January 2013 issue of Field & Stream magazine with less than 1 inch group.

I just mounted the new Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 BDC this evening and found that the factory installed rail on the Marlin was not as tight as it probably should have been and could have been a very small factor in my not being able to get much smaller than a 4 inch group @ 100yrds. I cleaned out the screw holes and used a bit of lock-tite so I shouldn't have to worry about that again. I'm thinking that I'm not getting a proper and consistant cheekweld. I just talked to a friend that used to teach long range shooting in the military who has offered to go with me to the range this Saturday and see if he can help me get those groups down to a proper size.

I have two Marlin X7's, and they both shoot under an inch right out of the box. Excellent value, and great economical rifle. The piece of advice I have is that often the bucks will bed early in the morning when pressured, and then get up and feed around between 10 and 1. Many times, this is when hunters head back to camp and take a break. If you keep glassing the lower thick stuff during this time, you might catch one up, and they seem to spook less easy during this time. Good luck!!

• Like 1

Welcome to CWT. You should be fine out to 500 yards. What kind of accuracy are you getting @ 200 yards in the Marlin?

http://www.barnesbullets.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/VOR-TX-trajectory-velocity-energy-REV-8-9-11-P.pdf

My weekend got switched around, went scouting Saturday instead and the range today. My friend came out and helped me with some pointers on my shooting and ended the day with a 1 1/4" group at 100 yards. If I can repeat next week, I'll move over to the 200 and 300 yard range and see what I get.

post-11504-0-45110900-1380505927_thumb.jpg

Well about a week after my last post I made it back out to the range and did a 3/4" from the bench and 1 1/4" group using a sling and a bipod shooting stick together. I didn't make it back to the longer 200-500 yrd range until this last Wednesday due to the range schedule and mine not agreeing. I didn't put up a paper target but had no problem hitting all of the steel silhouettes all the way out to 500 yrds!

Now if I can find a deer with the right stuff between its ears and legs!

No luck yesterday though I did hear a shot not too far away from me Friday in 36A at 12:04 pm. Anyone on here that can own up to that with a good buck?

Couldn't go hunt today due to other obligations but plan to be back out tomorrow and Monday.

• Like 1

For me this year 36A was non producing. Opening day of my hunt Friday Nov. 8th was very quiet, only heard two shots all day. Around 9:30 am I saw 6 or 7 Mule deer does on the move headed south through the area I was in and that was it. Couldn't make it back out on Saturday due to other obligations but was sitting on top of a much higher peak before daylight on Sunday morning. Constantly glassing as the day progressed I still saw no deer though did hear a number of shots toward the central mountain area. Watched at least 10 other hunters scouring the foothills and valley areas around me and thought if there were any deer in the area they would have moved with that much activity, but nothing.

So I guess until next season I'll be looking for "tag soup" recipes! :huh:

For me this year 36A was non producing. Opening day of my hunt Friday Nov. 8th was very quiet, only heard two shots all day. Around 9:30 am I saw 6 or 7 Mule deer does on the move headed south through the area I was in and that was it. Couldn't make it back out on Saturday due to other obligations but was sitting on top of a much higher peak before daylight on Sunday morning. Constantly glassing as the day progressed I still saw no deer though did hear a number of shots toward the central mountain area. Watched at least 10 other hunters scouring the foothills and valley areas around me and thought if there were any deer in the area they would have moved with that much activity, but nothing.

So I guess until next season I'll be looking for "tag soup" recipes! :huh:

were you in the sierritas?