Sign in to follow this  
nlacost

Not a monster,but my first....

Congratulations man! That is a good looking bull! And alone to boot?! Awesome!

Okay here is the story...take a deep beath close your eyes for a minute and breathe out. Imagine sneaking through tall mature pines,the jack pines filling in the spaces...then suddenly movement!! Its a dang grey squirrel...They get you every time...then as I approached the edge of a canyon I kneel down behind a tree and let out a soft cow call...immediately 2 cows answer up to my left..I nock an arrow and a lone calf comes trotting right at me from nowhere..She is so close at 10 yards,I chuckle at watching her trying to find me..the wind is perfect,she keeps walking by then I hear antlers raking against a tree about 60 yards out.I cow call one more time and he starts his approach.The only thing I see is antler tips coming over the tops of the shorter jack pines...I have my bow on the right side of the tree,starting to do the "stay calm,pick a spot" regimen...he starts walking by and I realize he is going to be close enough he might see me draw..As the bull slips by,I have to do the "up and over" to get my bow on the left side of the tree..he didn't see me and I was able to pull that 82lb PSE Omen like butter...the top pin settles on his last rib as he quarters away...18 yards....the release just knows when to go off and the whack..he lurches forward about 8 steps.then coughs and then crashes to the ground...then silence..I only hear the breezy pines and the crunches of the pine cones under my feet as I approach the monarch of the woods...In that moment I was awestruck!! I cant even begin to tell you all how great and bitter sweet the harvest felt..I got a chance to just sit on a log for a minute and drink it in,the rocks,the moss hanging off the branches,the light filtering through on a peaceful fall evening............

• Like 4

Got to love the smell and feel of the tall pines and light breeze when elk hunting. Congrats again Nate!!!

Nice Job! Tuff doing it Solo. My wife shot her first one last year I packed it out solo so i know what it takes. Its worth it . congrats!