Sign in to follow this  
HEADACHE

Is this the Brag Board???

HOLY COW! :o You were hunting and actually found a bear allready up a tree!!!!! :blink: Do you relize the odds of that? :huh: Go ahead and ask arround to see how many people have just stumbled on a bear that was allready up a tree. That is so cool! B) you lucky dog! What was up that tree that had him up there in the first place?

Congrats, that is a great bear!

Lance

HOLY COW! :o You were hunting and actually found a bear allready up a tree!!!!! :blink: Do you relize the odds of that? :huh: Go ahead and ask arround to see how many people have just stumbled on a bear that was allready up a tree. That is so cool! B) you lucky dog! What was up that tree that had him up there in the first place?

Congrats, that is a great bear!

Lance

WELL. . . I was parked on top of a narrow finger. . . like 50 yards wide.

I hiked down the west side canyon and called for like 20 minutes. . . . nothing.

I walked back over the road to the east side canyon. . . . I heard him up in the tree. . . .

SO, I haven't figured out if he heard my calling and came to it. . . saw me or my jeep and treed. . . OR I was walking toward him when he was walking towards me and treed. . . or maybe he just likes to eat something 35 feet up in a dead pine tree???

??????? if he was coming to my call he would have walked up right square behind me in the worst possible place to shoot or defend myself. . . . whew!

Nice bear HEADACHE. :)

I love the 1895M. Been thinking of getting one for a couple years now. I hunt with the 1894P in .44 for deer. It is only 33" long and is a blast to shoot and hunt with. Marlin made it for 2 years and modeled it after the 1895 guide gun. The only thing holdin' me back on the guide gun is how much overkill it might be on deer. Were you using the Hornady 350gr or handload? (I'm just curious as to how it performed)

Jon Sundra wrote a few years back that it was going to be one awesome bear gun in applications like yours. By the way it sounds maybe he meant for brown bear. :P Way to go! -Shiras

I was using factory 350gr Hornady rounds. . . it is way too much for black bears in my humble opinion.

It left a huge hole on both sides!

I think it might be perfect for when that Grizzly charges :P

It would blow a deer clean in half. . . I shot a nice sized coyote at about 90 yards with the .450 earlier that morning who came charging in to my call. . . . I caught him high in the ribs/back, it blew him in half and left a fountain of blood for about 12-15 feet out the other side. . . . oh man. :blink:

And now Hornady has those polymer tipped lever Evolution bulletts to add some serious range to all those cool levers! Can't wait to get into some of those. :D

I missed a coyote at 392 yards with my 45/70 with a 325 gr. leverevolution bullet, just a tad high, I think the yote would have exploded.

Aren't the new leverevolution bullets only to be used in the new XLR rifles? It was my understanding that the ammo was exclusive to those rifles, but I may be wrong. At any rate, it is quite an improvement on the blunt nose, nose diving bullet used from the inception of the .45-70.

HEADACHE, did you happen to take a pic of the yote you blasted? Maybe that's a bit morbid, but for some reason that caliber and cartidge in particular intriges me to no end. I just love slow moving (relatively speaking) heavy, hard hitting ammunition compared to the magnums of today.-Shiras

Shiras I think those rifles were designed with that bullet in mind, but the bullet wasn't intended solely for that gun, Here is a link for the xlr rifles. http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/xlr/default.aspx

I am shooting them out of a 1895 cowboy 45/70 with a 26" barrel, I am working on some handloads for that gun also, but they shot very well.

I have two different friends of mine come upon bear scratching around high up in dead trees. No one had spooked them, they were just up there looking for something.

Had another friend of mine get woke up one morning when a bear came into camp to check him out in his sleeping bag. When my friend got out of the bag in his tighty-whities, the bear got scared spitless and treed right away.

You never know what the scariest thing is you will ever see until you are face to face with it :o

This all happened in unit 27.

Shiras, I think the evolution bullets go in any lever gun.

And sadly, no pics of the two halves of the yote.

Just a couple chuckles and a pat on the ol buttstock.

I will remember that sloppy wet sound as the big fat slow bullet ripped through his side forever! ha ha ha.

When I was skinning the bear out I did notice 4-5 dead bees or hornets tucked up under his armpits. they were dead, I assumed maybe he was eating them or their nest earlier that day, they were still fresh.????????

I'd rather be lucky than good any day boys . . . . any day.