Sign in to follow this  
thegunsmith2506

Early Calling Fun

We normally don't start calling until October, but we have had a lot of coyotes around the house, so we made a few stands this weekend. Started the year out pretty good. We killed on 50% of our stands. I can't wait for some cold weather so we can go after the foxes! Looks like it will be a good season.Here are a couple of pics.

post-843-0-46782500-1378397979.jpg

post-843-0-39502100-1378397992.jpg

• Like 6

What choke/shell combination are you using in that Maxus??? Nice 'yotes, wish they'd come in when I call them!!!

If he attacked my SUV I would shoot him as well 😛.

Nice pic and good shootin!

• Like 1

What choke/shell combination are you using in that Maxus??? Nice 'yotes, wish they'd come in when I call them!!!

Right now I get the best patterns with 3-1/2 #4 buck and a dead coyote choke tube. I would prefer to shoot HD shot, but it doesn't pattern as well in this gun, and it is pricey. For foxes I shoot 3" lead BB's with the same tube.

Cool thanks... I have a Maxus, but I haven't taken it out calling predators yet, it's my duck gun. I use my Mossberg 835 with 3" Remington #4 buck and a Carlson's Hevi-Shot IC tube. I was wondering how the Maxus would pattern with #4 and it seems like I'd just as well keep it in the safe and stick with my 835 for throwing big lead pellets...

You are to be commended for realizing the monetary value gray foxes have. Hold off for a few more months and easily pay for your gasoline with a few pelts. Kill all the coyotes you can get in your sights- they compete for food with foxes and bobcats!

• Like 1