songdog11

Binos, Good,Ok,dont bother

I have been looking for a set of 15xs. I want a set that will last for a while with a good warranty. I tried celestion 15x80 because they had such great reviews.<-dont bother. Tried Nikon 20x 900$ they ere ok but full of mirage. Any feed back would be great. suggestions for good a great deal new or used. I am in the 400-600 price range. Please, I know Swaros are Amazing. I cant afford them! Maybe Bruntons?leupold,Meopta,Vortex? :D

Meopta are good glass, very good for their price point. You will see much more about them on the bird watching sites as they are a little heavy for their size. Also, I believe they are still the ones making Cabela's high end binos which get very good reviews. Vortex also seem to get good reviews and you might find a used pair for a steal.

• Like 1

I would highly recommend the Nikon Monarch 12x56's. Used a pair for a year and a half before buying my Kaibabs, and I would say they are 80-90% as good as them. I don't think they make them anymore, but you can still find them online for about 400 bucks. Very solid glass, and no-fault lifetime warranty. If not these, than for a little more you can get some viper 15x50's. Not a huge difference in clarity, but brighter. Good luck!!

Keep your eyes open for a pair of minox 15x58's. They dont make them anymore but they were great for the price. Make surr you look through them all before buying. I had issues looking through the vipers.

• Like 1

Been there done this!!! $900 Nikon + $600= Swarovski :) cut your losses where your at. Put your money away and save up for what you really want. Your going to spend 3x the price of Swarovski looking for that "as good" or "close enough". Big glass is going to have some mirage effect no matter what brand in the heat if the day.

• Like 1

The saying "buy nice, or buy twice" has double the meaning when you're talking nocs... Save up and buy a quality pair next year. I'd rent a pair for this year, ross outdoors does optics renting (and is a sponsor of CWT.com). Vortex 15x56 HD's for $150/week, swaro 15x56 SLC $200/week. You'll still have $450-$400 that you can add to until you can afford a pair of your own.

I have a pair of leupold 8x that I like a lot. I find deer with them often. knowing if it is a buck or a good buck is tuff with 8x sometimes.

I cant look my kids n the eye and tell them I spent 2 grand on optics thats just not me, at all.

Ive saved up my money a long time and now I hope to get a deal on a good used pair.Hopefully.Thanks a bunch to those of who helped. I really apreciate it.

My Dad bought a pair of Zeiss 15x56 for $1100 in 1984. The leagend goes that he gave a ride to a guy on a bear hunt on the San Carlos rez (you might of heard of him, Dwane Adams). Dwane had a pair around his neck and let my Dad look thru them. Needless to say, he bought a pair later that week, lol. My Father passed away in 2010 and i inherited them. I've been finding deer with them for the past 3 years and I'll probably pass them on to my son or daughter when Im done hunting. 29 years of continual use and counting. "Buy nice, or buy twice". They'll thank you when the nocs are theirs, lol.

I would buy the best you can afford today, take good care of them, use them for a season or two and sell them when you have some more money saved up. Eventually you will work your way up to Swaros but there's no rush. They haven't changed them, other then a lens coating or two, in 15 years. The 12x56 nikons are really good for the money and you can pick up a used set for cheap. I would recommend the 12x56 nikons over the 15x51 bruntons. As mentioned before the 15x58 minox are good for the dough too.

• Like 1

/>I would highly recommend the Nikon Monarch 12x56's. Used a pair for a year and a half before buying my Kaibabs, and I would say they are 80-90% as good as them. I don't think they make them anymore, but you can still find them online for about 400 bucks. Very solid glass, and no-fault lifetime warranty. If not these, than for a little more you can get some viper 15x50's. Not a huge difference in clarity, but brighter. Good luck!!

+1. I owned a pair of the monarch 12x56's and they were just as good as the vortex kaibabs in my opinion. I bought mine in binoculars. com for around $400.

• Like 1

I was in the market for Swaro's and my AC crapped out. Had about $900 to spend. Looked through Kaibab's figuring to put the rest on credit. Didn't feel right. Got Minox 25x58EDs for around $700. Great decision. Love 'em.

• Like 1

I was in the market for Swaro's and my AC crapped out. Had about $900 to spend. Looked through Kaibab's figuring to put the rest on credit. Didn't feel right. Got Minox 25x58EDs for around $700. Great decision. Love 'em.

Have you used them in the field yet? How big is the FOV at say 800-1000 yards? I have used both 15x56's and 20x80's and the latter has a noticeably smaller field of view.