Sign in to follow this  
CJNAZ

Just joined this site. 4B early rifle bull & 4A rifle cow. woohoo.....

Hello all. I'm new to this site and am enjoying all the discussions. Good folks around here. I have been lurking around a few other boards and stumbled upon this one. Can't believe it took me so long to get here.

I drew an early bull in 4B and the wife drew a mid-Oct cow in 4A this year. Haven't been drawn since 2004. I know 4A quite well and feel good about getting the wife on her first Elk. I took a nice bull out of 4A years back so if anybody needs some assist shoot me a message. I've been up there every year since during the rut.

In return if anybody has a few pointers/ideas about early bulls in 4B I'd appreciate your suggestions. I have been scouting 4B for a few weekends now. Not seeing too much in regards to numbers. Except for people. Lots of those up there. And water everywhere. Basically trying to locate the cows knowing that when the rut starts the boys will be with the girls. I've been on the edge of Chevlon a few times already and found some decent possibilities. All over the 172 and 99 areas wlaking the hills. Wondering if they are farther North or closer to wilderness and lake areas.

Challenge for me this go-round is that my hunting buddy is not able to make it with me this year. So, that leaves me & the wife to pack out anything I can't get a vehicle too. She's a trooper but very petite so heavy loads are not good for her. But, we'll get it done no matter what the obstacles.

Happy times coming in Sept/Oct.........................

Welcome to the site. Wish I had some sage advice for you on 4b but I have not hunted that unit. There are others with better info, but you should always start with the Game and Fish website for that hunt unit. They have more than enough information to really get going into good areas in every unit. After that, keep up the scouting and you will find the area you want to focus on soon enough.

• Like 1

Welcome to the site! Your observation is correct...very good/knowledgeable folks on this site. I had that 4B tag 2 years ago. There is a lot of people activity north of Forest Lakes. Of course it subsides later September. Labor Day weekend is an absolute zoo. A friend, familiar with the area, suggested I take the first decent bull that gives me an opportunity. There aren't a ton of elk and not a lot of big bulls. During my scouting/hunt, I found this to be true. I hunted the side canyons all along Chevlon for the whole two weeks. I was into elk almost every day, but very few opportunities. There were two good bulls in the area, so I was being selective. I passed on a 5x5 at 40 yards the 2nd day. I passed on spikes two different occasions. I had encounters with the two good bulls, but couldn't make it happen. The very last day of the hunt, right before dark, I called in a 5x5 at 25 yards. But, he wouldn't clear the brush....just one more step. Finally he blew out of there, and that was the end of my hunt.

There was a lot of competition with other hunters, but I still had a great time.

The other thing you have to contend with, is the sheep herd. There is a huge sheep drive that time of year. They will be all up the 172 road and the surrounding canyons, water holes, etc. Wasn't a deal breaker, just can't hunt where the sheep have mucked it up.

I was told the big bulls are further north, in the open country. Must be something to it....every morning there was a "mad max" race up 172.

You'll have a good hunt, just have to stay flexable to avoid the mentioned issues.

I think 4A is a better unit for an elk hunt.

Good luck!

• Like 1

this 4b bull is not from my bunch and if anybody knows the hunters i've been curious about the score on this one for years.

we had an early ML tag in 4b a few years ago just email me at biglakejake@hotmail.com

post-253-0-49737000-1375300936_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-07135700-1375300950_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-73611400-1375300961_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-81053300-1375300973_thumb.jpg

can we all spell dolly parton?

lee

• Like 1

I have some friends in Joe City and Holbrook. His name on here is Badlands Custom Taxidermy. Give him a shout.

• Like 1

Welcome to the site!! Good luck on your hunts. Sorry, I am not familiar with that unit though. :-(

That 7x looks like one my Dad was trying to kill off the 504 right further north from that Circle K in one of the burns...We guessed him around 330, never saw him on the ground.

Absolutely awesome hunt. Promise you will kill at least three yotes for me. Wildcat canyon has some great places to glass. South of Dry lake and pink cliffs to the canyons. They love the red dirt! Happy Hunting........Great Tag!

Thanks for all the great replies so far. My confidence in this hunt a growing rapidly and I have a good feeling I will be able to share a great hunt with my wife. My 4B hunt will be her first Elk experience followed by her trying to fill a 4A tag a few weeks after. I can't tell who's more excited, me or her. She said just this mornnig that she woke up last night thinking about the hunts and couldn't go back to sleep. She's a trooper for sure.

• Like 2

Here's a pic of my brothers 4B early bull back in 2001. I'd feel blessed for a chance at something like this for sure.

post-11163-0-08810800-1375386539_thumb.jpg

There was a 400' bull shot in 4b during the last early archery. It was on one if the websites and confirmed by a game and fish officer.