cannonball

AZ Coues, Which rifle?

270 for shore great all around gun and it will get out there, make sure what ever gone you chose, shoot it often new you gun and what it can do, build confadence befar to the game your hunting . 500 yards is a long shoot and just because a whittyy is small doesn't mean they aren't tough. oh ya and gator fans can hunt whities just not yankie fans.LOL

All of the rifles you are choosing from are well suited for coues. If you get the chance to shoot them side-by-side at ranges from 250 - 400 yards, I'm betting one will stand out as more comfortable and accurate for you.

+1 30-06!!

I'm taking my 270 and a 30-06 (and my bow). The 30-06 will be the backup. If I had a 300 win mag and was hunting where I thought I'd be making 300+ yard shots, I'd opt for the 300 win mag. This is all my personal preference.

What range shots are you typically comfortable with?

• Like 1

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and I got drawn for an Arizona Unit 24A whitetail hunt this year Nov 29-Dec 8 and had a question to throw out to the board.

So I know the "which caliber question is best" or "which one should I buy" has been debated countless times. My spin is that I have the following available for this hunt:

1. Winchester M70 Super Grade .270 Win w/ Leupold VXII 3-9x50
  2. Winchester M70 .Classic Featherweight 30-06 w Zeiss Conquest 3-10x50
  3. Remington M700 BDL .300 Win mag w/ Leupold VXIII 3-10x50
  4. Remington M700 SPS Varmint .308 w/ Vortex Viper 4-16x44

I understand that any of these will work just fine and that the answer is probably to take all to the range and determine which one I shoot the best. The 308 is on a laminated thumbhole stock and has a heavy barrel (and the glass isn't that great) so I think its out of the running just due to how heavy it is. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks much!

You answered your own question. Which one do you shoot the best. Weight is always a factor, but I will hump a heavy rifle around if that is the one I have confidence in.

+1

Take the rifle that you are most comfortable shooting and put the best scope you have on that rifle. If the rifle is accurate you will look over the weight. I have been carrying a 14 lb rifle for the last couple years because it is a tack driver.

To display how little I have been shooting lately, i was mistaken the vortex on the 308 is actually a 6.5-20x. I had thought about changing glass around. I might do that depending on which rifle shoots best for me. Gotta get out and practice!

270 WSM will go out a long way ... back up would be 30-06

That 308 will reach out and touch them in a fatal way. I wouldn't fool with it, just shoot it.

• Like 1

Put the zeiss on whichever rifle you choose. Caliber really means nothing in the above stated rifles. They all have plenty of knockdown out to 500 and beyond. I like the 30-06 with 150gr bullets. Nice light rifle with not a whole lot of recoil. Plus it already has the best scope on it. Don't worry about caliber, go with which gun feels the best, is easy to pack, and shoots well enough at 300 yards.