Sign in to follow this  
125coues

float tubes

Looking to buy a float tube to fish from and since I have never used one I would greatly appriciate some feed back from you guys and gals that have used one.

With the different seats and seat backs which do you preferr the best and overall which one is best to fish with.

I will be doing some of both types of fishing,Fly fishing and spin cast fishing.

I love float tubes, bass fishing or trout. Nice quiet way to fish. It depends on how deep you want to get into this, check these out at cabelas. http://www.cabelas.com/category/Float-Tubes/104335380.uts.

You can go simple to start and if you like it get into the ones I think they call pontoons, they are around $700, very neat way to fish.

That link doesn't appear to work, just go to cabelas and search, sorry.

well comfort is really the most important to me and then next would be storage how much your boat can safely hold and how compact you want it to be as far as breaking it down and setting it up. like most things they have improved a great deal and you don't have to break the bank but I wouldn't go with the cheapest one u can find either. pontoons are ok but you sit up higher the seats are mostly hard plastic so long durations are painfull unless you have a cushion witch is ok the other thing about big pontoon is the frame is big and takes up a lot of room if these are not an issue and you have a pickup you should be good .I have gone through a few tubes and sold the ones that were not practical for my use ,I have really tweeked my set up and have gone with a a double bladder tube that sits in the water so when I'm fishing these southern lakes I can fish in trunks water shoes and flippers over them it even has a mesh storage in the back to hold all kinds of stuff and made rod holders that attach to the side of my tube it has a holder for my humming bird fish finder and even just completed building a live well for my fish( I got my mother in law so sew the mesh for me) :Dwhen I hit the rim lakes I put on waders . so you can really get as crazy as you want my tube only set me back I belive $200.00 give or take a few bucks. It's called a Cumberland real comfy, had great reviews before I got it and I can break it down and store it in a rubber maid storage container with all my fins , tackle, pump, ect make s it real easy to grab and go and I can put it in my car and not worry about it taking to much space here is a similar set up from tube fishing that I have. my buddy teamjesus on this site makes these rod holders for tubes in his spare time here is an example of are set up and some of the best night fishing we have had because on a tube your real stealth :ph34r: in the summer time even tough I have a Bass boat its a lot cooler in the water even at night .it is a total blast and just another form of Fishing for me if I can wet a line and catch a fish in AZ that's how I roll B)

Cheers -X-

post-4762-0-29454300-1374134744_thumb.jpg

post-4762-0-92994900-1374134839_thumb.jpg

love my pontoon float tube. folds up into a back pack so i can hike with it. the pontoons are way easier to cover lots of water and get around a lake.

I have both a tube and a pontoon boat and both have good and bad points. a float tube is easier to store and hike with and easier to maneuver especially in a windy day. You don't sit as high out of the water as in a pontoon, so your body is less of a sail in the wind. Most of the float tubes don't have a frame, so are not set up to row with oars- you have to use fins for propulsion. This limits your range. Also, if you fish cold water in the winter you get pretty cold sitting so low in the water.

Pontoon boats take up a lot of room in the garage, and in your vehicle when you are transporting them. you are only in the water from below your knees down. so you don't get as cold if you are fishing in the winter. The wind pushes you around a lot more, but the pontoon also goes through the water a lot easier-the pontoons are parallel and don't sit deep in the water, where as most tubes are either u shaped or pointed on the front, so you are pushing more surface through the water than you are with a pontoon. You can also propel a pontoon boat with fins, oars, or even an electric motor, and they are safer if you are going to fish any moving waters(rivers) Hope this helps.