Sign in to follow this  
270wsm

My Moms off to Alaska

first half of july is usually the best time of the year for fishing on the kenai peninsula

I like the second half of July on the Kenai, when fishing upriver from Soldotna. The big plug of reds can be strong and steady near the Russian River confluence and upstream. The silvers begin showing up in small numbers along the MatSu rivers. And every other year, the pinks and chum are also running strong at this time. The kings, which are almost non-existant anymore, are usually done by this time, though. Late June early July for kings in the rivers. LOTS of options!!!

I guess the weather is pretty rough up there right now . She said there going to wait til Tuesday to hit the water.

Heard the rain was really strong, which just followed a long stretch of extreme heat after an extremely long winter. Sounds like the winter stuck around a long time, the heat came suddenly and melted snow and ice causing LOTS of flooding and now to follow that up with lots of rain. Wow, must be tough! My last few trips have been awesome weather with almost no mosquitoes.

as a teenager, the Russian river was one of my favorite places to fish. I greatly preferred the clear water of the Russian to the murky, glacier green water of the Kenai or Kasilof.

Things are about to get real sporty up there. Kenai is expecting about 4.4 million reds this month, and these are the larger fish up to 10-12 pounds each. With the king fisheries in dire situations, the nets may not be hitting the water thus making sure the majority of the fish actually make it into the river. Limits will be raised quickly for this second run and freezers will be full! Still trying to see if there is a "cheap" plane ticket to Anchorage for a few days of fishing! This run could put LOTS of food in the freezer in a very short time!!!!

Well my mom did pretty good. She ended up bringing back 100lbs of fresh silver salmon filets, and few halibut filets.

post-5643-0-79310200-1374015384_thumb.jpg