Sign in to follow this  
drgonzales

Need a good digital camera

I am using a Panasonic FZ-20. 5 MP, 12x optical zoom with an image stabilizer. About the same size as an SLR, so not too compact to fit in the pack, but easier to hold.

I'd suggest to give Doug at Camera Land a call and discuss your needs like packing size, digiscoping, wildlife, price range, #MP, filters, etc. He could give you good advice and a rec, and is great to deal with.

Doug~RR

I use the Canon S2 IS. It too has a 12X zoom and an image stabilizer. It takes great photos. My wife does not like it because it is so big. I am planning on getting her something smaller that she can keep in her purse for "Kodak moments".

You need to decide what you are going to be using it for, how much you are willing to spend, what kind of optical zoom you want, how many MPs, etc, etc, etc, and then go from there. CB

I too use the Canon S2 IS. Its a great camera! It takes great pictures, but is a little big to be packin around all day although I do mine. I did however get the teleconverter for mine which gives it 1.7X more zoom. You can really reach out and touch them with the converter, but the pictures get a bit hazy. Here are some pics. The rabbit was about 50 yards away. The mule deer 600 yards away. The doe about 80 yards away and the flower....well it was about 20 yards away! post-226-1159292052_thumb.jpg

post-226-1159292163_thumb.jpgbucks on a rainy day with teloconverter

post-226-1159292232_thumb.jpgthe doe with converter

They run about 300 bucks.....smokin deal for a great cam. The flower as promised for my flower loving buddy Kirkpost-226-1159292336_thumb.jpg

Look at that one switchback has, it's nice but if you want something smaller check out mine you'll like it too.

this bedded buck was 200 yards away. once I got the pic downloaded I zoomed in on him as much as possible before the pic started to break down. just something to give you some perspective.

post-268-1159297151.jpg

I use a Casio 5.0 EXLIM EX-Z57. It takes great pictures

and costs around 400 dollars.

I use a Canon Powershot nwt2006056.jpgA520 and have been very happy with the quality of the photos.