Sign in to follow this  
Archaic

Some 36B basic questions

I will be part of a six person group hunting AZ for the first time this coming October. We are all experienced hunters, but this will be our first AZ hunt. Because of the availability of tags, we have applied for 36B. I don't want anybodies secret spot or anything like that, we'll hunt and scout for ourselves. What we are hoping for is if you guys could help with the following questions:

We will be hunting the last week of October, should we expect to have to deal with mosquitoes, ticks, snakes?

We plan on parking and hiking in to set up a camp, how safe will our three vehicles be and what can we do to make them safer?

Is there any kind of cell phone coverage or will we have to hike out to make a call if something happens?

If I am reading correctly, the only overlapping season is for quail. Can we hunt quail while deer hunting and do we need additional stamps to hunt them?

Is there any place between Tuscan and Nogales to get dry ice?

If one of my hunting buddies gets eaten by a mountain lion, do we HAVE to tell G&F, or can we just divide up his stuff and pretend nothing happened?

;)

I say if anyone gets eaten by a lion its on them for having their head rectally inserted. So split the stuff.

Snakes are a guarantee. Chiggers maybe, depending on elevation. Mosquitoes not likely.

I'm sure green valley or sauherita will produce dry ice.

For the parking, next to a border patrol station would be a safe bet...its hit or miss on having your things messed with. In 40 some years counting my dads time we've lost one lantern to a thief.

As I said on a different post you made, be aware of the illegals. It's a given they are there, the only worry should be smugglers. They will be armed. My butcher refuses to hunt the 36s because he had smugglers in his camp. The closer to Mexico the higher potential.

My wife already knows, verizon works well most everywhere down there.

Again its TUCSON :-)

Packing in a shotgun for quail and a rifle for deer? Seems like a waste. Hunt deer don't worry about quail.

I say if anyone gets eaten by a lion its on them for having their head rectally inserted. So split the stuff.

Snakes are a guarantee. Chiggers maybe, depending on elevation. Mosquitoes not likely.

I'm sure green valley or sauherita will produce dry ice.

For the parking, next to a border patrol station would be a safe bet...its hit or miss on having your things messed with. In 40 some years counting my dads time we've lost one lantern to a thief.

As I said on a different post you made, be aware of the illegals. It's a given they are there, the only worry should be smugglers. They will be armed. My butcher refuses to hunt the 36s because he had smugglers in his camp. The closer to Mexico the higher potential.

My wife already knows, verizon works well most everywhere down there.

Again its TUCSON :-)

Packing in a shotgun for quail and a rifle for deer? Seems like a waste. Hunt deer don't worry about quail.

+1 on what he said. The only thing I might add is I leave some water and food outside of my truck when I am parked down there. I have heard that a lot of vehicle break ins are from illegals looking for food or water so I figure its best to just leave them some in order to save myself a window replacement. But then again I have never had them take me up on my offer ;)

I too leave some foo and water in the bed of my truck for the same reason. I also try to park in a highly visible spot where my truck is out in the open. Getting a Club for my steering wheel gave me some additional peace of mind.

Have BP number in your phone just in case.

I would also contact the AZGF WM and ask for advice on areas where they recommend you NOT go.

All this being said, if you take precautions, you should have a great hunt !

Arch- the only quail i have seen there are mearns . the do not open until dec. there are a lot of rabbits ( whitetail about 10 pounds, blacktail about 6 pound and cottontial about 1-2 pounds) . coyotes, fox , bobcat and coatimundi. while many hunters report glassing up mt lions ; i spend a lot of time and money hunting them and i have not seen one. you may see some javelina while glassing.

Sorry about 'Tuscan' instead of Tucson, my spell check must have been hungry for Italian.

Would you guys expect there to be any water on the ground in creek beds or springs in October, or will it still be bone dry?

Will we be permitted to have a campfire? We have not been able to burn outdoors in TX for over 2+ years.

What about radios, in most of the states we hunt in getting caught using a two way radio to stalk game is a bad bad thing, but I've read that a spotter-stalker using radios is permitted in AZ.

Great stuff so far guys, thanks!

Arch- it is very dry right now . if they do allow fires bring some ribeyes and hamburgers; there is a lot of mequite wood.

+1 on the mesquite! Prime BBQ/grill wood! ;)

VERY unlikely you will find any/much water in any of the creek beds. NP using radios here in AZ, as far as I know. We use them all the time, and have had G&F officers in our camp and utilizing them as well. Shouldn't be a problem.

Awesome that you and your crew are taking-on this adventure! Lots of good folks here to give you advice.

Good luck!

S.

:)

Hello guys, This is one of the potential mountain lion victims. What is the wind like in October, is it something to be concerned about or just ambient like the temperature.

Arc...send me those maps so I can get them copied, and my birthday present!

Another thing that has not been mentioned yet for this unit. A 400+ yard shot is average in this unit so practice your long range shooting.

I'm shooting through a box of 150 grain 30-06 Hornadys every 2 weeks.

Steve, you don't have to outrun the mountain lion, you just have to outrun dad.

• Like 1