Red Rabbit

Your First Rifle?

My first was a Daisy BB gun that had my dad's and uncles names scratched into the wood stock. I shot lots of things with it and it still worked when I gave it to my son. Didn't work too long after that, but I still have it.

My first 'real' rifle was a Winchester 94 in 25-35. My grandpa bought it from a guy who was headed out in WWII and didn't think he would be needing it. My dad had it and thats how I ended up with it. Still have that one too.

Lots of memories here...

The old Savage 99's seem to be popular. That's what my dad had when he gave me the 25-35. His was a 300 Savage. Man, it shot good.

I had my first 30-06 when I was two years old. My dad aquired 3 springfield rifles in the early 60's and sporterized them. It took him a lot of time to do this and they turned out nice. He made one for me and also one each for my two brothers. I still have the rifle and has taken the most game of any of my rifles and its an accurate shooter.

My first rifle was a Remington Model 514BR. It was a gift from my Dad on my twelfth birthday. He would give me three .22 shorts and a half an hour on my own to hunt/shoot rabbits on our ranch. The first rifle that I bought was a Win. Model 70 .30-06 when I was 15. I still use that rifle today as my first choice deer/hog rifle. Mike

I am surprised to read about the Savage model 99's that are out there. My dad has shot the 99 in .308 cal since the 60's. I thought he had the only one in the world. He has a 3 power scope on it that he bought from Yellow Front (remember that store). The only thing you can see through it is the dust particles on the other side of it.

If anyone has a savage 99 in the .243 or .308 cal that would like to sell let me know.

My first big game rifle is a 700 bdl 30-06 I got when I was 10 and still have it. I did wipe the dust and cob webs off it and shoot a coyote a few months ago.My son will get it in a few more years.

I got my first rifle for christmas when I was 5. It is a marlin youth model bolt action single shot 22lr. I can still remember going to shoot it for the first time, I thought it was so big I had to rest it over sleeping bag to get a steady aim. Now it seems more like a long pistol than rifle. Still have it and will never sell it.

My first rifle was a Western Auto Supply 22short,long,and long rifle sigle shot. It had went through my older brother first then I got it, it is sitting in my safe at home right now 36 years later.

My first large bore rifle was a Winchester Model 94 30-30, got it when I was 10 for my birthday. I shot everything from deer to mice with that thing, used to work in town on weekends just so I'd have enough money to buy shells for it. Growing up hunting blacktails in the thick forests of Oregon the 30-30 was pretty much a standard "starter" rifle. I just liked it cuz I thought I was John Wayne or the Rifleman when I had it in my hands! This rifle is in my safe right now as well, no amount of money could ever replace the memories that stir every time I hold those two rifles.

My first big gun was a marlin lever action in 35 remington. It was a solid gun but I never killed anything with it except for my shoulder ( I was 12 ).

Keven

Far as I know, all the 99's were lever action. I always thought it was cool cuz it had the rotory magazine and the little round counter window on the side. Again, I'm partial to the .300 and didn't pay that much attention to the other. Might call them and see.

My first which I still have today, got it from my grandfather after he passed away, is a Marlin Model 93 .32-.20. Pretty slow shooting lever action but I think I might have shot a javelina or two with it. :D

My first rifle was a Winchester 30-30. This rifle, like many of yours has a strange history. My grandfather use to bowl every Friday night in the early 60's, and my dad was one of the young kids that would run around the building bugging everyone else. One night a guy asked if my grandfather wanted to buy a rifle and a knife that he had for sale. He went out and looked at it, the knife was an older style hunting blade with a red handle, and a shealth that was taped up. But for $30 a newer rifle and knife was a good deal so he bought it. It became my dads gun. It took a lot of whitetail and even more mule deer. It was a hunting gun, and was left at my grandfathers cabin at Roosevelt Estates up there by the Lake until hunting season came. In the mid 90's a group of kids broke into the cabin, found the gun, and found some rounds for it. While trying to play "The Rifleman" as one of the kids put it tried to chamber a round with one hand and pulled the trigger by mistake killing two of our best duck jackets that were in the next room over hanging up. Since they knew it shot, they also tried to shoot a whitetail mount we had up there, but luckily missed that shot. They got scared and left with the rifle. We got the call that the cabin had been broken into and went up there to see what had happened. Being a young kid I was always on my knees playing around, mostly being in the way of the cops, and my grandfather. But for once it paid off, I found the slug that had went through the jackets in the next room stuck in the wall, stopped by a stud in the wall. They searched all the property for any kind of clue, but found nothing. A week later we got a call saying they had a very weak lead, but they were going to follow it up. Turns out that this small town was just a little too small. One of the kids who had broke into the cabin had a new pair of tennis shoe that he liked to show off to everyone, including the sheriff. The sheriff remembered the sole pattern and went to his house. There he found our rifle and learned that the kid told his dad he had bought it at a yard sale in Globe. We had our rifle back. A couple years later the cabin flooded, and the butt of the gun got some water damage, but still works perfectly. Now it's mine, and sits in my room along side the red handled knife.