Sign in to follow this  
ScottAF

The .223

The reason the military uses a FMJ is to be "Humane" and forbids its soldiers from using exposed lead, hollow point or any other "hunting type" projectile. I would venture to say that if the military used those types of bullets, the kill percentage would increase. But as we are about the only country who "adhere's" to the ethics of war i guess the FMJ is here to say whether it be the .223, .308 or anything above, below, or in between. ANd as i understand it the Military went to the .223 for recoil and basic load issues as you can carry alot more .223 ammo than you could the .308 for the same weight. Anyhow as i stated earlier i am not a fan of the .223 as i will only own .30 cal rifles.

Ok, I must add my 1 cent to the mix...

Fo deer any legal firearm will do the job if you manage the range and hit the vitals. That said, if you are selecting a firearm for hunting I think a .223 would not make the short list. there are too many other good cartridges which will do the job better than the .223.

My two hunting rifles are both Weatherby Mark V's one in 7mm Weatherby mag and the other in .300 Weatherby mag. Both can reach out and touch somebody (great point blank range and energy). I shoot 160gr partition in the 7mm and 188gr partition in the .300. The great thing is that those two rounds have the same ballistics so I can use them interchangably. The .300 goes in the field with me. The 7mm is used by my sons or friends or as my back up.

Only 57 days till deer season... but who's counting!!!! :D

Longshot

:P

A little perspective when compared against the other end of the popular coues-round spectrum.

In the blue corner:

Weighing in at 55 grains

With a Ballistic Coefficient of .202

Powered by approximately 25 grains of powder

Sporting 1282 Foot Pounds of Energy (Muzzle) and 456 Ft. Lbs @ 300 Yards....

The .223 Remington!

In the red corner:

Weighing in at 180 grains (CT Ballistic Silver Tip)

With a Ballistic Coefficient of .474

Powered by 86 grains of IMR 7828

Sporting 4195 Foot Pounds of Energy (Muzzle) and 2772 Ft. lbs @ 300 Yards

The .300 Weatherby Magnum!!!

post-478-1158293944.jpg

post-478-1158293966.jpg

This goes right along with the "what was your first rifle?" post.

MY first rifle was a Winchester Model 7 youth. Neat little gun. Nice and light even with the wooden stock, and the 16" barrel, was still formidable enough to take 11 deer with. Between units 32 and 33. 9 mulies and 2 coues. Longest shot was a little over 500 yards ( paced). Dropped the 160lb ( dressed weight skin on) mulie right in his tracks. And the main reason I now archery hunt. Kind of took all the fun out of hunting.

And for all of you folks who have more $$$.. It would be nice to have something else, but I refuse to kill a coues with the -06. Tears up to much meat. So my rifle of choice if I ever draw and decide to use a rifle again on coues will be my little Winchester Model 7 .223. And there is a good chance that all of my kids will be using that same rifle on their hunts.

I shoot hand loaded 65 grain boattail spire points ( Hornadys I believe). Have never had any problems with ribs or shoulders.

Then when its time for the varmis I switch over to the 45 grain hollow points, Turn the scope 4 clicks. fire a couple to make sure things are good to go, and am ready.

Now I stop short of elk, but about everything else here in southern AZ that I hunt on a regular basis my little .223 has proven quite capable of tagging for me.

Shane

I think the .223 with GOOD bullets would do fine on those little deer if ranges are not too long. I have personally killed at least 25 head of elk with a .223 sometimes going through both shoulders. These were almost all road hit elk that were crippled too badly to get around. Don't sell the little round short. It will do in a pinch.

Guest Ernesto C

The 223 is definetly a NO,NO, for coues . What is close range? 15,25 or 40 yards?? in that case my bow is more effective.

There's lots of things that can go wrong using a 223 on deer, responsible hunters must make sure they make a quick and humane kill. Wind plays a big role in coues deer hunting so you better be a MASTER of wind drift if you are using a 223.How abou the angle of the deer? Frontal or quatering in shots for example? In ocassions you must shoot at a running deer.......if you did not put that deer on its track with the first standing still shot what are the odds of hitting him while running??

I can keep going on an on and the only two things I can see are a frustrated hunter and a wounded deer.

I definetly do not what to see the buck of my dreams walk a way just because I was undergunned (spelling?) and the deer was "too far" for this caliber or even worst......wounded.

Please allow me to suggest the following calibers for coues: 25-06, 257 Wby Mag. 270, 308 and 30-06. If you use any bigger caliber than this ones...........you wont go wrong either...............dead is dead,no such a thing as over kill.

My two cents and God bless you all.

Ernesto C

well said Ernesto... and the not using a 30-06 because it ruins meat? to me thats not a good excuse. i would rather ruin meat and KILL the deer than take a chance at maybe killing it/maybe not and not loosing any meat IF i kill it. there are too many variables out there to use such a small caliber. by using a larger caliber, you elimaniate one of the variables... nuff said

How much meat could you possibly ruin if you hit him in the rib cage anyways. One extra rib?? Oh 2?

I have seen a mule deer spike take 5 rounds from a .223 from an uncle before I put him down for good with my .243. And have seen a good friend put 3 rounds in a 2 point from a 22-250 and then track him for 3 hours in the night and cut his throat to finally kill him.

I also saw my brother shoot an 85" coues in the rump with a 30-06 and put him down for good.

I like small calibers that i can whip out of the saddle and shoot.

In my opinion impact is key.