Sign in to follow this  
ScottAF

The .223

I Just wanted to have a little feed back from anybody out there.Is hunting couse with a .223 sufficent and if so any recomended round that should be used for this caliber. Thnaks for any feed back, Scott

This can probably be answered with a question.

Can a .22 kill an elk? Yes. But probably not your best choice of weapon.

I just noticed that my avatar doesn't show up anymore, any idea why?

Thanks for the info guy's I thought it my be a stupid question on my part.But my grandfather keeps telling me he is going to hunt Deer with his .223 next year.And I told him I didn't think it was smart.

My first coues was with a .223 and it was a real eye opener for me. The bullet hit a rib bone and stopped. Luckily the bone broke and punctered the lung. It was several miserable hours tracking him down. I will never use a .223 on big game again.

Keven

i would say 243 as minimum but something around 260, 270 or 7mag about ideal

Casey what the heck......260,270 or even a 7mag :blink: What about .25-06 the best coues round ;)

25-06 how quickly it is forgotten, I would have expected that from lark. :)

I used to think a 243 would be as light as I would go, but the 223WSSM would be plenty out to 250 methinks....that's what the pieces of jackrabbits tell me anyways

No way man. As Lark would say... 270 all the way. Whether hunting coues in the Arizona desert, dahls in the rugged mountains, elephants in Africa or pheasants in the uplands...the Winchester 270 is the only way baby! :lol:

As for the 223, keep it for cheap plinking, coyotes and oinkers.

I shot my coues deer last year with a .223 WSSM with handloaded BarnesX bullets.. Had a complete pass thru shot and dropped him in his tracks at 260 yrds.. My buddy Kev shot his buck with the same gun at 396 yards the next day.. Same results.. Remember that shot RedRabbit?? Best shot I've seen in a LONG while!! So, to answer your question, yes, the .223 will do the job just fine.. BTW, I've killed plenty of deer back home in TX with a little 'ol .222..

No way man. As Lark would say... 270 all the way. Whether hunting coues in the Arizona desert, dahls in the rugged mountains, elephants in Africa or pheasants in the uplands...the Winchester 270 is the only way baby! :lol:

As for the 223, keep it for cheap plinking, coyotes and oinkers.

not to go off on tangent but the 30-06 is the best all around caliber, from varmints to bison. B)

You guys are crazy .460 S&W is the best coues round :D

But not to get off topic I believe if you use a partition or solid bullet like the barnes triple shock I believe the .223 is enough but I would not recomend using a hollow point or soft point.