SunDevil

Lots of us hunting 23 this year

Im another Arizonan with a 23 tag. However, mine is for mulies only (3rd choice). Ive hunted the Harden Cienega area before saw lots of deer and 5 lions.

Arizonan with a 23 tag! which muley hunt did you get? I drew the nov 11, 23 muley tag!

Been seeing some nice bucks !!

I drew the Nov. 11 hunt also. Hoping to maybe get a chance to scout in October. I have relatives in Safford that work in Morenci and also relatives that live in Silver City.

I'll be hunting the first hunt in Nov. Probably will go scouting the 7th through 9th of October, on the north side of the San Fran.

--Bill

Guest AZ>NMcouesaddict

Back to work now, had a great elk hunt. I have the Nov. 11 coues tag and my wife has a Nov muley tag both for 23. I originally thought about harden cienega but the more I talk to folks, the more that I think I'll avoid it. Sounds like it gets hit pretty hard. I was in there last year crossing over to AZ for my coues hunt in 27. I did see some coues but they were really isolated to the drainages off of the river. I think I'll be in the wilderness, I know a fellow who has some giant coues sheds from the pine country. It also gives me a chance to glass up a coues or muley, for my wife. Good luck to all. Who's the fella with the elk tag. I don't know if I would consider that a once in a lifetime tag, NM had unlimited tags in that unit for awhile and the big bulls are hard to come by. They like the huge drainages up high. It was an absolute city in there for the archery hunts. Hunt hard..

Hey Sun Devil,

Ill be hitting south of mule creek for the first couple of days than heading to the river. Cant wait. Might try my crane hunt the morning of the 4th and than to the deer hunt. Ahhhh so many hunts....so little time. :lol: jake

Bill - did you get scouting last weekend? where are the pics? hope you had some success.

We are going this weekend for 3 days. Probably spend 1.5 days south of mule creek and another 1.5 days up harden somewhere. ;)

this will be our only scouting weekend before the hunt so what we find this weekend will probably determine where we are during the early Nov hunt.

will let you know how things go next week when we get back.

my buddy checked and there are still some bear tags available for that zone. we may pick one up before we head over. need to check on the price. Later. CB

I spent Saturday glassing the north side of the San Francisco river saw a few doe with fawns, and a couple muley bucks. The bugs were unreal, and here is water everywhere. Sunday I headed up the north of Sunflower mesa and when I finally got in the sun was high so I just tried to familiarize myself with some of the roads. Went south of Mule Creek on Monday and saw better sign but no deer. Just have to decide where to start my hunt on the 4th, since I won't be able to get out scouting again. The 7 hour drive one was is a bit much for multiple scouting trips. Did see a couple bear but they were not super big. I have to leave now, more later.

--Bill

pretty much a bummer of a trip. only saw 3 little bucks. 2 were legal but not really shooters. maybe last day shooters and only because they were at a tank that was right off the road. did see a really nice rust colored sow with a cub. like scout'm said, got rained and hailed on saturday afternoon. ended up cutting the trip short and coming home early to avoid the thunderstorms. CB

Guest AZ>NMcouesaddict

Sundevil, did you see the bears down in the pears or are they still hitting juniper berries. My wife and I will be in 23 scouting this weekend and she has a bear tag burning a hole in her pocket. I think we'll be down around the San Fran Saturday then move up and check out the north country. She has a muley tag and I have the coues tag. I haven't been back to that country since I got my bear in Aug. Not sure if they're still in the junipers. Thanks.

the bear was up high. as were the bears we saw last year. in the junipers eating the berries. I also saw some bear tracks last weekend at another dirt tank. I guess it could have been the same bear but I doubt it. CB

SunDevil, sorry your trip wasn't what you hoped it would be. Although for NM I think it was still a success. I'm sure you already know but NM does not have nearly the quanity of coues that places in Arizona have. In my experience in NM unit 23 seeing 3-5 deer per day is not uncommon as an average. This November will be my 4th year hunting coues over there and I still don't feel like I've got it figured out yet.