matthewp45

Anyone have any stories from this weekend?

I spent 40 hours in three days sitting over the spot where we have been getting pictures of some big bucks. Saw 1 doe and a bear. The bear walked right next to my blind without taking notice. A real pretty reddish less than 200 pounder. I sat in a tree the first day and a half then in a ground blind the second day and a half since it was too hot to sit in the tree in the afternoon. The first day was brutal but once I put in the clutch on my brain the last two days weren't so bad. I rigged up my XM radio and had plenty of reading material but by the third day I didn't even do much of that. I was just concentrating trying to will in a deer. It was good therapy at least. My Dad died exactly one year ago this weekend. I had plenty of time to sit and think in silence.

Andy sat a couple different spots and had about the same luck. A new huge buck had shown up on the camera at Andy's spot but it didn't come back this weekend. Also Devin showed up for Sat-Mon. He missed a nice buck on Sunday. We had over 100 hours of stand time between us and only one shot. It was pretty tough. Maybe all the quad traffic in the forest buggered them up a little.

I know they weren't spooked or smelling us they just changed patterns. We were sitting on little tiny waterholes that had mostly dried up.

MoreD,

Way to go taking the kid out. You can make a difference. Young people need to have some interest to keep them out of trouble.

Jeffy,

My allergies have been so bad I went and got an allergy shot last week. I was not going to let that ruin my hunt. It worked really well.

Up in 17B/17A and saw quite a few doe and only one buck that tried to come into my area but he got skittish and bugged out. Must of caught my scent he came in from a different direction than I thought. Lots of quad, talked to five or six hunter only one little forky taken out of all of them. Big rain and saw my first flash flood righ by camp, washed out our road into camp, yikes, good thing it dried up before we left.

Can anyone explain, quad hunting, I can see using one to get to where you are going and then go to your spot and sit, or glass and move. But how do you drive around on a quad all day and get close enough to shoot a bow?? I never saw any parked quads, only hunters moving on them.

Ditto to that last post. I know most of the people on this site are what I would consider ethical hunters so this does not apply to you if you don't do this, but for all you smuck road hunters on this site get a life. Anyone who doesn't have some sort of disability, but still chooses to hunt out of a moving vehicle is a moron. How you could even imply that this is in some way ethical is beyond me. All it takes is the skill to drive a vehicle nothing else. I was in a spot this weekend where I knew there would be alot of traffic, but at a certain point Friday afternoon I said to myself, "This is fubar". When I went back to my camp at midday I would see a road hunter go by every 10-15 minutes, and the canyon I was in wasn't very big or long. If your handicapped or you need a vehicle to get to your hunting spot that's fine, but if niether of these apply to you then get out and walk. Oh yea, for all of those road hunters who went by my camp and waved, and I just turned my back on you, that wasn't by accident and I was trying to be an A@@ so get a life or a new hobby, because for most of us on this site it's not a hobby, it's a way of life.

INCREDIBLE!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!! NOT FAIR, I'M JEALOUS!!!!! CONGRATS ON AN AWESOME BUCK. WE WANT DETAILS!

WOW!! :o :o

Super buck 4pt. What's the story? You can't just leave us hanging with just that pic.

Up in 17B/17A and saw quite a few doe and only one buck that tried to come into my area but he got skittish and bugged out. Must of caught my scent he came in from a different direction than I thought. Lots of quad, talked to five or six hunter only one little forky taken out of all of them. Big rain and saw my first flash flood righ by camp, washed out our road into camp, yikes, good thing it dried up before we left.

Can anyone explain, quad hunting, I can see using one to get to where you are going and then go to your spot and sit, or glass and move. But how do you drive around on a quad all day and get close enough to shoot a bow?? I never saw any parked quads, only hunters moving on them.

I might be going up to 17A this weekend, I took my son and my nephew up on sat. and came back sunday, I just wanted to get the kids up there for a day and check it out since I will be going back up for this weekend with a friend from work. I took the two boys on a hike and seen one doe and she must have been deaf because the kids haven't learned to be quiet yet, I spent more time trying to explain what they needed to do to see animals than anything, especially my nephew, he is 9 and only goes hunting if I take him. My six year old told me we didn't see anything because the deer though he was a bob lion, not a mountain lion or a bobcat, he was a bob lion, so I am sorry if we got close to anyone up there and scared anything.

Overall I had fun and the kids did too, I will try again this weekend without the kids.

Good Luck to all and God Bless.

Guest Ernesto C
Here is the pictures of my archery success from this past weekend.

post-1374-1157504715_thumb.jpg

Holly wacamole!! that's an awesome buck! it sure looks like a 110 - 113 range,unbelievable!! Congratulations and God bless you more.

OH MEN WHAT A BUCK...what a buck.

KILLER DEER MAN!!!!!!! Now that was just the motivation I needed bro!! Congratufreakinlations dude!!!! Post more pics of you and your trophy man that is incredible. AWESOME!!!

4ptof cakajfd dxsi aakdi adkiern lkelq kelkkq wpwo.

Sorry bout the jibberish but it is very hard to type with your eyeballs popped out of your head...

Awesome Super Buck 4pt

congratulations.

Way to go sonny boy. I better brag on you a little bit. This is 4pt 3rd or fourth coues that will go well over 100 inches with his bow and he has 3, I think that has topped 100 with his rifle! welcome to the sight, and keep it up.

jlhcoues