Taos

1st coues hunt

My son and I are trying to put together a coues hunt next fall on a budget. We have hunted all accross the west for deer butnever coues. We have decided to rectify that by trying to get a tag next year and get after them. We will be doing it ourselves sans guides and outfitters and such so any advice on which areas to put in for for a rifle hunt would be a great help. We are not looking for B&C bucks just decent representative bucks. Thanks for any help.

The draws for AZ and NM are tiered. They both have 'quality hunts'. You can put a 'quality hunt' as your first choice (AZ = December) and then a standard hunt as your second choice (AZ = Oct or Nov). Check the regs for draw odds and hunter success rates. Then it really comes down to your schedule and whether you want to be closer to Phoenix or Tucson. Probably should consider not hunting one of the units that border Mexico considering the problem we have with illegals and drug runners. CB

You came to the right place for info on it!

WAAAY TOO much to write on this topic here, so I suggest reading a lot of the past posts and everything on the links from the main CWT page.

In short, What most would say you NEED to increase your odds.

Steady Tripod + Good quality, high power Binoculars Many folks like a 15x56 or similar.

Anything you can do to increase your comfort, and therfore your total time behind the binos will be well spent money!

Read about how to glass for Coues, and watch some videos if you cannot scout it yourself.

These deer are known as Grey Ghosts for a reason.

Practice and be proficient at shooting out to at least 300 yards. Many times you won't get closer than that.

Patience and perseverence.

Good luck!

I have dealt with drugrunners and illegals for longer than I care to say if that is the best country to hunt that is fine, I know just how they are dealt with. Or should be anyway. Thanks for the info gentlemen.

buy Duane Adams' book "How to Hunt Coues Deer". You can get it on this website. Great resource. CB