archeryasu

Tripods for spotting scopes

I need to buy a tripod for my 80mm swaro spotting scope...i need something that isn?t too heavy and that has real smooth operation while glassing. I would like to stay under $150.00 if possible....any ideas?

I need to buy a tripod for my 80mm swaro spotting scope...i need something that isn?t too heavy and that has real smooth operation while glassing. I would like to stay under $150.00 if possible....any ideas?

Take a look at the Velbon LUX iF which is $119.99

Ideal for a camera, binocular or spotter. 39cm folded length yet 161cm maximum height, constructing with thicker legs than that of MAXi for further sturdiness and durability to support a Digital/Analogue SLR camera, or spotter. Unique panhead PH-145Q with 3 bubble levels. Extra low-low angle position. Carrying case is included.

If I can answer anything for you please let me know.

I would look here on CW, Jim White has some great velbons, bogens etc. he has Amanda selling here on CW and he really knows his stuff. I have the Velbon EFL4 with Jim's fluid head and am very happy with it. The tripod is in the price range you are looking at...........Allen Taylor........

Also check out the manfrotto 718B. Have had it for several years and it is pretty nice. Fits in a day pack, real smooth, not to expensive. CB

I have the same scope and use the Manfretto 3001BN. Its a little long, but you don't have to extend the legs much when you sit down. You can buy them online cheaper than here in the valley. David

I have the same scope and use the Manfretto 3001BN. Its a little long, but you don't have to extend the legs much when you sit down. You can buy them online cheaper than here in the valley. David

i too use the same tripod. I also installed their new pistol grip head and it is AWESOME

For those of you that use both a spotter and binocs on your tripod, do you carry a tripod for each or just swap them when needed?

It sucks swapping your scope / binocs, but it also sucks carrying two 'pods.

Just curious as to what others do.

I don't know anyone who carries two tripods. Switching out isn't a problem if you have a tripod head with a plate system like the Jim White tripod head or ph157q.

For those who want to check out the heads and tripods for sale on this site, here is the link:

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/bookstore/tripods_adaptor.htm

I just got a velbon sherpa 600RA and it's super stable. I had a velbon maxi 343e which was decent and light, but not good when trying to videotape stuff, a little bump and it would shake too much. The 600ra is extremely stable though.

Amanda