Sign in to follow this  
'Ike'

My 2013 Coues & Javi

Great trip with a good friend to hunt with Steven...Single digit temps and a bout of food crud from Airport food meant a slower first day but in no time I was into my first Javi hunt...Both Matt and I doubled up and it was off to glass Muleys and prepare for the next day chasing Coues Bucks...Set in a great travel corridor the next morning and with teeth chattering it didn't take long before I saw my first Coues Deer of 2013. As the sun finally hit the drainage bottom more deer and a great buck showed up...

Coming in to check on doe's in the area, a errant breeze sent everyone scattering...And with that the buck!

After watching him walk into thick cover with several doe's I thought that'd be the last I saw of him...I short time later though, I caught movement of deer in the cover and could make out a doe followed by another deer. Then I saw the sun glint off antlers and knew he was still around. As doe's filtered back through the buck hung back and started to swing to my right and into a good shooting lane at 27 yards...

Hitting this lane and already at draw I touched the relase when he hesitated...With the hit he turned and bolted out of sight, but I felt confident with the shot and it took all I had to wait 30 minutes...This time the teeth chattering wasn't from the cold! Finally making my way out of the blind and to the shot location I could see right away the results and glassing in the direction he ran I again caught sunlight on a antler, he was down within 30 yards...As I got closer he grew into more than I could ever expect! Symmetry, Mass and a 'Sticker' on a main frame eight (8) point...Stud, which later roughed out in the mid 90's...

Be hard to top this one, least for me...I appreciate getting to come to AZ to chase this great lil deer and thanks to Steven and Brian for a great hunt!

post-8681-0-41382500-1358631842_thumb.jpg

post-8681-0-98977300-1358631899_thumb.jpg

post-8681-0-93364000-1358632131_thumb.jpg

post-8681-0-58342900-1358632197_thumb.jpg

post-8681-0-49865100-1358632368_thumb.jpg

post-8681-0-06296600-1358632580_thumb.jpg

post-8681-0-49739700-1358632622_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Congrats on both scores!! Great day just being out with a twofer as a bonus....great shooting..

Wow!! Congrats! That is a deer of a lifetime with a bow man! Very nice. cant wait to start chasing javelina in Feb with my bow. Great job!! Jake

Wow! Way to get it done! Love that...deer & pig with a bow! Too cool!

Wow, getting a bonus buck when your main objective was an az pig is just awesome. That was your objective I assume. lol All kidding aside It doesn't get any better than that. Thanks for sharing.

TJ