Sign in to follow this  
Mathews

Spot/Stalk

we usually try to bed em and let me tell you.... it is hard when they have sooo many eyes watchin out! If you can't find all the deer you will never get close.

A middle aged Navajo guy I met said they quit bedding them and wait for them to get up and feed and he said it has increased his opportunities and kills! he watches them bed and comes back later when they get up and start feeding and tries to figure where they are feeding and gets in front of them... I've tried it a couple of times but they seem to have a sort of jedi power that they sense something and feed off in another direction. I might have trouble stalking a glass of water.. LOL! patience is a big factor IMHO and mine is getting somewhat better, I don't get too over excited like I used to. We'll see this weekend.

James

Spot n stalk is my method. Move 30 feet watching where you put your feet. Keep an eye on the target. Stop, watch,& listen good. And repeat. Better to go in a U shape & you wanna always pay attention to the wind.

I've tried to cut them off, come in behind them, go out in the mourning and stay in one general area and wait for them. It's mostly luck than when it comes time to shoot ... that's the only thing you can control. Just play the wind ... my buddy likes to come from above the deer ...

So far counting helping my buddy and myself .... 3:15 opportunity (within 70 yards)

I shot and missed a couse at 70 yards .... ducked <_<

Buddy missed a mulie at 60 yards ... cause he didnt listen to me and range the doe that was walking in front of him.

I bumped a couse that ent straight to my buddy. He thought that the stalk was over/blown ... put his jacket away and the buck comes up to 10 yards and busts him ... with his bow on the ground.

Keep at it and try different things and figure out what works best for you.

One more tip that I can think of is, Most times when you sneak into your effective range you do not always have a shot (brush, trees, and simply sneaky dirty deer know where they are safe). Instead of trying to move around to get that open shot, have some patience and just wait. If you get there undetected, and don't have a shot wait for the animal to get up and move out to get that shot. More times than not guys I hunt, and myself, get too excited when they get close, and will push to get to that open lane to shoot, when in reality they were close enough that if they were more patient and waited for the animal to get up and move out by itself, they would have had the opportunity. Basically, LET THE ANIMAL MAKE THE MISTAKE!!!

And as always, do not give up until you are either standing where the animal was, or you get confirmation from your spotters that the animal is long gone.

• Like 3

Here's my take on spot and stalk. Slow dowwwwwwwwwwnnnnnn and take your time.Its movement that deer pickup on everytime. Even then if they spot ya remain still and be patient and wait it out. As long as the winds right you still have a chance.

Watch the wind not only near you but sometimes ahead you or across a wash/canyon or even above you (ie birds). I like to not only scan with binos for the deer but look at the brush or grass movements. Picking the best times to stalk IMO ranks up there with wind direction. A bright clear calm day the worst for stalking. Everything seems to make noise and carries a long ways out. I like slightly gusty winds that create just enough movement in leaves, causing swaying branches and rustling of the ground cover. Moisture after a light rain is excellent.

But whatever you decide have confidence and patience. I hunt with primitive equipment, my effective range is less than 35yds with an arrow blasting at a whooping 160fps (w/ a tailwind). I stalked to within 12yds of a bedded coues buck and doe in sparse cover this past year just by following these few steps. I missed that nice WT buck twice at less than 30yds but that was my hunt and I couldn't have been happier. Of course killing that buck what have been "icing on the cake". Good luck.

• Like 1