Sign in to follow this  
Mathews

Spot/Stalk

Anyone wanna shed some light on their spot/stalk secrets and tricks? Been close a few times so far this year, but cant quite close the gap. Always something that goes wrong.. has anyone had more success bedding them down or getting in there while they're moving?

I have found that spot and stalk is a 20:1 proposition. 1 outta every 20 stalks you get an opportunity. Stay after them. The reason folks say it's the most rewarding way to hunt is because it’s the most dang frustrating way to hunt and when it pays off it's awesome.

2 schools of thought on bedding vs. moving/feeding animals.

-If they're bedded at least they're not moving around but all they have to do for entertainment is find you stalking them.

-If they are feeding they are less aware but only god knows where they are going, and they can be hard to keep up with.

You cannot beat the wind with any product made. At least have it slightly favoring.

If at all possible put something solid (i.e. Ridges, bumps, rocks, thick trees) between you and the animal.

I know this is all pretty obvious, but spot and stalk hunting will either throw you into the arms of the lord, or, make you swear that there is no god.

Best of luck.

• Like 6

Your better off with spot and stalk mule deer than coues to get the ball rolling.

Pepe, I enjoyed your post thoroughly. I believe a "Thank you Lord" is certainly appropriate if you just slipped an arrow into any coues buck, let alone a big one!

Welcome to my world. I only seem to have the problem with mulies. The hard part is when you realize for all of your time, money and effort you may only get 1 good chance just to be busted by a wind swirl or a doe. 30 yards this way or that can give you your shot and that just comes down to luck (which with mule deer apparantly I don't have any).

Besides the above good tips I would add that some type of padded boot silencer really helps. Higher deer densities or knowing your unit really well helps you get the number of opportunities you need. A helper who stays up on the hill helps a ton too if you have one. Of course good glass on a tripod.

+1 on having someone else man the glass while you make your stalk. This drives the probabiility of success WAY up and will help save you from stalking deer that have moved on while you are putting the sneak on. Good luck.

Coues drive me nuts... I'll feel like Ive done everything right just for my spotter to call me up and inform me they busted 5 minutes ago.. Last stalk I got down to 100 yards the wind changed, couldn't see him, and figured it was over only to walk up there, bust through a tree and find out he was bedded right where I left him feeding..

This drives the probabiility of success WAY up and will help save you from stalking deer that have moved on while you are putting the sneak on. Good luck.

Shhhhhhh! Don't mention that too loudly. AzGFD will likely ban radios and spotters giving hand signals next. They don't want the archers to be too successful ya know.

edit* Sorry, I guess that wasn't really a constructive answer.

Spot and Stalk tips.

Walk slowly and without rhythm.

Have a spotter keep an eye on the critter.

Wear soft material pants, definitely not corduroys. No matter how quietly you step, if your pant legs swish on brush or each other, you will still be noisy.

Check the wind every 10 -20 yds

Search with your binos every 10-20 feet.

The ones you don't see will bust you.

• Like 2

Here are few things I try to keep in mind when I am stalking. Take them for what its worth. Keep the wind out of their noses (obviously) it does not have to perfect just out of their noses. When you find an animal you are going to stalk look all round it to find the extra set of eyes that will bust you. The animal you are stalking is not the one that usually catches you. Use the terrain to your advantage. This may sound weird but try to sound natural, meter your steps and work slow when your in sound range. You will make noise, but make it as naturally sounding as possible. Almost try to sound like another animal. The buck I took last January knew something was above him, but he assumed it was non-threatening and actually came closer to check it out. Don't give up on a stalk until you see the animal bouncing away. I have ratted myself out to many times when I have done everything perfectly and just gave up when I could not see the animal. Most importantly, Practice. I spent yesterday (when not looking for deer) stalking quail trying to get a 20 yard archery shot. Good Luck and don't give up

It funny, on my rifle hunt this year my buddy stayed high guiding me to a bedded deer. He put me 50 yards of him and I had no idea I was that close and he busted, never saw him. I have never been that close while trying to stalk a Coues with a bow. As mentioned, it helps a ton to have radios and someone watching as you stalk. If they are rutting try to a few hundred yards away and rattle maybe. Good luck!

Staying patient is the number one tip.. getting aggressive and blowing a Buck out of the country is never good... know when to back off bucks if u don't feel 100% about it back off and re think or re glass the Buck and.try it again with a new plan... Im no expert but have killed a few spot n stalk coues. I couldn't have killed any if I hadn't backed out and done multiple stalks the same day. So my tip is no when to back out and wait for things to feel 100%... like a buddie of mine says confidence is deadly...

• Like 2

Spot and stalk definitely the hardest way... I thought I had one In the bag today when I glassed up a solid 105 buck, bedded him down, and he was all alone. I spent 3 hours sneaking way up and around to get the wind right coming down the hill on top of him. I got within 58 yards of him and ran out of cover so I knelt down behind a manzanita with a clear lane to shoot. I sat there for another 3 hours waiting for him to stand. When he finally got up I thought I had him dead to rights but he blew out of there with no warning. I couldn't figure for the life of me why... About 10 minutes later here comes 4 coyotes right through where he was laying. Long story short with spot and stalk coues hunts. Expect the unexpected. Even when everything is going perfect many things can go wrong that are far out of your control. My best advice is stay after them and be persistent. One of these days it will work out for you. Best of luck!

• Like 2

I am a recurve and homemade bow shooter, and I as a result need to get close. ( i have missed six times this year, and I can tell you that I know my limitations again)

Friends tell me I get more opportunities than most get in a life time; in three half years, two small deer, by still-hunting. Weak credentials, I admit... Yet, IMHO,

Even at twenty five-twenty-fifteen yards, a deer can move fast enough to not be there when the arrow arrives (for me 150 fps...basically move your hand as you say "one mississi..." and see how far your hand can be from the start point). Even with a compound, think about where you can draw unseen. Yesterday, the doe saw me draw at 23 yards, and downhill from there. However, I had spotted this guy I have been after for over a year, and I kept moving from "window of opportunity" to another place where I could draw and shoot. What gave the chance was alot of the above advice: check the wind( constantly), try hunting crosswind, sound natural ( three steps at most, and breaking a twig means chilling a while), and ALWAYS LOOK OVER THE GRASS OR THE SMALL KNOLL AS YOU GO UP. You may be closer than you think to deer, just never seeing them leave.

The two deer I killed where from following the capitalized advice. I would have killed yesterday, again ("woe, despair, and agony on me"), but I simply could not believe the deer and doe where there. They both were, along with a big one I have pursued two plus years now. Possible EXCUSE: My mind was on a friend's cancer, but I botched it regardless.

Of all the advice I read online, the best came from a man who hunted with African bushman: never peer over bushes, peer through, run when needed, crawl if needed, and forget watches.