Sign in to follow this  
GRONG

Whitetail hunting turned shed hunting

Went out with a buddy of mine and his wife on Sunday to hunt for some whitetail. We saw some decent rutting action but no big bucks. I sat glassing and looked at a shed we'd seen last year with the Swarovski scope and realized it was nearly an 8pt so I thought about making the trek to get it this time. I continued glassing for wt and spotted what looked like eyeguards at 3/4 mi away in the bottom of the canyon. I put the scope on it and it was for sure a horn and it looked like a good one but they all do…. Man this pic does not look 3/4mi away thru the Swarovski scope but it sure was. 1000 vertical feet down too! I just happened to sit in the only spot where you could see it. 30 yards either way and I wouldn't have. So I bailed off the edge of the canyon and commenced to shorten the life of my knees yet again....

post-3-0-50623700-1356054658_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-41352300-1356054750_thumb.jpg

From the shed pictured above I went strait down the ridge to the bottom of the canyon then back up a side draw to where the other shed was at. Talk about a score!!! Soon as I saw it I realized I had seen the bull back in '05/'06 perhaps, called it into 40 yards and didn't have my video camera! Stupid!! All I knew was that this bull had the biggest top end I'd ever seen! I guessed the bull around 380 then with 2' long swords. I measured the beam on this shed at 53", the 4th at 24 7/8" and the 5th at 17 3/4". 29" of mass and an estimated 17" first eye guard and the bull would've scored around 382 with a 36" spread. The shed weighs 13lbs. I think this is my 2nd best ever shed in 25 years of looking for the dumb things. I have 2 pics of the bull alive on some trail camera pics somewhere if I can find em…. Enjoy the pics

post-3-0-82519900-1356055079_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-63673300-1356055182_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-79512400-1356055248_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-81426900-1356055303_thumb.jpg

I plotted out my hike on google earth and I hiked right at 6 miles and dropped 1000' and had to hike back out of that hooker to get back to the truck. My tail was seriously dragging when I got there and my knees still feel like they're about to explode. HA!! I should be slapped for doing that hike! It was awful…

Enjoy the pics

Josh

PS: Yes I do know I'm missing a lens cover for my binos

Love those days! Awesome shed by the way man and for once good to hear some realistic spread credit, was bout to go insane from automatic 42" and up spread credits for 300-340 class sheds on other sites LOL

DAN

Oh man Dan, I totally hear you on that one. I hear 45-50" for a set of sheds constantly. I just say, look in the record books and look at the avg spread of similarly sized bulls. Anyway, hunters will be hunters. Can't wait to see some of your upcoming posts of your knee wrenching hikes as well :)