Sign in to follow this  
scoutm

Dano's Leftovers

A buddy of ours (SunDevil and Me) decided to pick up a leftover late November Deer tag and he took full advantage of it.

Dan and I started hunting Coues in 1992 and in those 20 years, with only a few missed seasons, he's had his chances to fill his tags but has often had a hard time putting everything together - Prior to this hunt he had only harvested two other coues. (Give him a smoke pole and a Javelina tag and the dude is lethal).

Never having hunted in his chosen leftover unit Chris and I reached out to some buddies and members of the coueswhitetail.com family we knew that have hunted it before and they were both gracious enough to share some invaluable intel. To our surprise both buddies gave us the same area independently of each other so we felt it must be a really good area.

Unfortunately due to Family and work obligation Dan only had a day and a half to fill this tag so the intel we receive was invaluable - thanks again guys.

Around 5:30 am we hit the trail to our desired glassing spot and within minutes of sitting down and with barely enough glassing light Chris glassed up a group of bucks. Dan and Chris watched them as it became lighter and as they feed up the ridge. After some time and some discussion Dan decided he wanted to take one of them. Chris set Dan up with a rock solid rest - big rock and a back pack. Chris then got setup to spot, I setup to film and Dan setup to shoot. Only problem was Dan wasn’t able to find the deer in the scope. This wasn't too much of a surprise as Dan was using my rifle and my eyes suck so after Dan commenting the scope was blurry I helped him with making a LARGE diopter adjustment. Once the scope was adjusted Dan picked the buck right up and the rest shall we say is good eats...His third deer and his biggest to date…the picture and video tell the rest of the story.

post-1361-0-82563700-1354555404_thumb.jpg

http://s99.beta.photobucket.com/user/scoutm5909/media/Danos2012Deer_0001.mp4.html

th_Danos2012Deer_0001.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Larry and congrats Dan!!

Here was our timeline.

9:30 pm on Friday - arrive at camp.

11:00 pm - hit the sack.

4:30 am Saturday - alarm goes off.

5:05 - on the road out of camp.

5:50 - hit the trail.

6:30 - arrive at glassing location.

6:40 - glass up bucks.

7:34 - buck down.

Noon - back in camp.

3:00 - on the road back to town.

Thanks Larry and congrats Dan!!

Here was our timeline.

9:30 pm on Friday - arrive at camp.

11:00 pm - hit the sack.

4:30 am Saturday - alarm goes off.

5:05 - on the road out of camp.

5:50 - hit the trail.

6:30 - arrive at glassing location.

6:40 - glass up bucks.

7:34 - buck down.

Noon - back in camp.

3:00 - on the road back to town.

Makes for a short hunt, but you can't beat that kind of timeline! :D

Sound like a great hunt! He sure is happy to have gotten a buck! Congrats and thanks for sharing!