A couple months ago I bought a Remington 700 SPS 300 win mag for my elk hunt in December. Just took it out this weekend for the first time to sight it in. I cleaned and oiled it before I went out. I put a few rounds in and loaded the first one, gun fired great. When I tried to pull the bolt back to eject the round, it wouldn't come back. After jiggling and muscling it, it finally came back and ejected the round. Same thing happened on round 2 - bolt got stuck but eventually let loose and ejected it. I thought maybe it just needed some breaking in and would eventually get smoother. On the third shot, of course the bolt wouldn't come back again except this time when it finally let loose, it would not pull the spent round out of the chamber. I repeatedly opened and closed the bolt and it would not pull that round out. I used a rod to poke the round out and tried it again. Still would not pull the round out and bolt was tough to get back. Tried it one more time and it would not pull the fired round out.

The bolt moves smooth as can be with no ammunition in the gun and cycles live rounds just fine. For some reason, after I fire it, the bolt doesn't want to come back and it won't pull spent rounds out. I looked at the brass from the fired rounds and didn't notice anything abnormal. Any ideas on what could be wrong and anything I can do to fix it?? It's under warranty so I can send it in for free it's just really frustrating spending over 1200 on the combo and it doesn't function!

I bought a R700 in 300WM two Decembers ago and I had the same problem. I had to send it back in and whatever the did, that fixed it. They said something about the extractor not grabbing properly. It work great now, I havent had that proble, since. Bring it back where you bought it and se if they'll send it back for you.

You either are getting high pressure ( bad ammo or bad barrel and chamber) or have a rough chamber. Is there any chance you can post a couple pictures of the used cases ( primer side).

Either way, I wouldn't shoot it until you have someone check it out.

Send it back. They should be able to turn it around in a couple of week but do it ASAP. Call them ahead of time.

Where did you put the oil? You don't want any in the chamber or on the bolt face. If you are shooting factory ammo I would probably just start over. Clean the gun with something like butches boreshine following the directions, dry up all the excess, and give it another try. You should'nt need any lubrication other than what is left over from your cleaning. It does'nt take much oil or grease in the wrong place to cause some serious pressure issues. shayne

Sounds to me like an extractor problem. They are not common in Remington 700s but do occur, even in new ones. Call Remington customer service and explain your problem. I am sure that they will get you some help.