Sign in to follow this  
Big Browns

Suggestions on which long range gun to buy

I just checked the prices to accurize a remington 700 action from a gunsmiths off of longrangehunting.com he is 475 plus another 50 for a accelerated firing pin. if you could get a action for 300 thats 825 dollars with out the cost of shipping there and back. If i were to build a rifle off a remington action there is no possible way i could spend under 2000. Im not building a custom rifle that looks like a factory gun when i can go get a 400 to 500 dollar savage that will shoot dang close to the same.

If you are shooting elk and bear out to a grand, you need to be very mindful of velocity and energy of the round at that distance. .338 Lapua will do it. .338 Edge even better. You would probably also be fine with a .300 RUM or .300 WBY (I'd probably scrutinize these closely) and certainly with the behemoths of the .30's like the Lazzeroni and .30-378 WBY. Anything smaller ... not so sure. Yeah ... you will get some guy who shoots a 6.5x284 that says he can kill an elephant and 750 yards by hitting it in the eye ... but that is the exception, not the rule. Remember the goal is a 1 shot kill.

Yes i can tell you dont care what it looks like.. Im just saying that im not gonna build a rifle that looks like a bone stock gun.

Having little felt recoil and taking elk sized game over 1000 yards might be tricky. You better consider a good muzzle break.

That's funny right there!

I have built many savages for under a grand with high quality parts. Savage actions can be had for 400 or less depending on what one and where you get it. Screw a barrel on from the maker of your choice for $300 and add 25 bucks to upgrade the springs in the accu trigger then spend another 100-200 on the stock of your choice and you will have a rifle that will shoot just as good as any custom built Remington for less than half the cost. Not to mention the savings of not having to pay a smith to build it. You can do it all yourself.

As far as calibers go a 6.5 is very hard to beat especially at long range. A 6.5-284 pushing a 140 bullet will shoot flatter than a 300 win mag and drift less in the wind. The 6.5 will also deliver 90% or more of the energy of the 300 mag at 1000 yards. Anything that can be done with a 300 you can do with a 6.5-284 without all the recoil and no where near the powder usage.

Amen to what Stomp 442 has said. Buy a factory Savage LRP in a 6.5 caliber and you have a gun that will shoot with the best of them.

The target model Accutrigger can be adjusted down to 6 oz. Mine came from the factory set a 12 oz. They have the HS Precision stocks, a fluted barrel and you can change bolt handles to a number of tactical styles (if wanted) in about 5 minutes with no need to cut, weld, polish and reblue a 700 bolt handle. They have floating bolt heads which do not require lapping the lugs. Also, as Stomp 422 has said, if you later want to change to another caliber, bolt heads and barrels can be changed very easily.

As far as calibers go a 6.5 is very hard to beat especially at long range. A 6.5-284 pushing a 140 bullet will shoot flatter than a 300 win mag and drift less in the wind. The 6.5 will also deliver 90% or more of the energy of the 300 mag at 1000 yards. Anything that can be done with a 300 you can do with a 6.5-284 without all the recoil and no where near the powder usage.

This isn't really a fair statement. For example, take your 6.5mm 140 grain A-Max (B.C. .550 G1) and put it up against the 180 grain A-Max (B.C .580 G1) in a 300 WM you will see that they have similar muzzle verlocities but with the slightly higher B.C the 300 WM is acutally flatter shooting, has less wind and has more energy at 1,000.

This isn't really a fair statement. For example, take your 6.5mm 140 grain A-Max (B.C. .550 G1) and put it up against the 180 grain A-Max (B.C .580 G1) in a 300 WM you will see that they have similar muzzle verlocities but with the slightly higher B.C the 300 WM is acutally flatter shooting, has less wind and has more energy at 1,000.

I'm afraid that if you let facts get in the way of assumed performance you're going to be in for an argument, not with me, I'm just saying....

According to Hornady's Ballistics information the following G1 BC are given for the following:

Hornady 6.5, 140gr. A-Max, .585

Hornady 30, 178gr. A-Max .495

The Berger 6.5, 140gr. VLD hunting and target bullets have a very impressive G1, BC of .612.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm really leaning toward the Savage 110 FCP. Anyone have one? How do you like it?

Notice how I said 90% of the energy of the 300 win mag. Also your b.c. is a little low for the Amax. Truth be told for the 300 to match the wind bucking ability and sectional density of the 6.5 you would have to move up to the 200+ grain Bullets. Yeah the 300 will hit harder but the 6.5 packs plenty of energy to get the job done.

Notice how I said 90% of the energy of the 300 win mag. Also your b.c. is a little low for the Amax. Truth be told for the 300 to match the wind bucking ability and sectional density of the 6.5 you would have to move up to the 200+ grain Bullets. Yeah the 300 will hit harder but the 6.5 packs plenty of energy to get the job done.

The published BC for the 140 AMAX in a 6.5 is .585. What are you getting for your true BC??

According to Hornady's Ballistics information the following G1 BC are given for the following:

Hornady 6.5, 140gr. A-Max, .585

Hornady 30, 178gr. A-Max .495

The Berger 6.5, 140gr. VLD hunting and target bullets have a very impressive G1, BC of .612.

Sorry, but I had to confirm your numbers with Hornadys newest guide. Your right. src