coues7

Zeiss 15x45 What's the worth

Have the opportunity to buy some Brand New 15x45 Conquests for $690......are they worth it?

I would think the field of view would be a little small but I really have no experience w/ them.

I personally think the 15x45's are a great glass for the money. If I didnt have 10x42 slc's already, the 15x45 would be what I would buy. The 15x45's do not/will not replace 15x56's but for around the neck type glassing while you are moving etc. the 15x45's are great.................Allen.............

I found a guy that has 5 pairs....brand new in the box with the US warranty. He'll take $650 each.

I got them and paid 700 for them, I use them as my primary glassing setup...love them! They're temporary til i get my 15x56 swarvos, the field of view is small compared to the swarvos but they're much better than the other 15 powered binocs on the market, it's crisp and clear...not the best but they're just right under the swarvos, it'll be worth your money if you want good quality but don't want to pay 1800 for binocs. Also to increase your field of view...twist the eye caps down as much as you can until your eye lids touch the lens, that'll help increase your field of view

I personally think the 15x45's are a great glass for the money. If I didnt have 10x42 slc's already, the 15x45 would be what I would buy. The 15x45's do not/will not replace 15x56's but for around the neck type glassing while you are moving etc. the 15x45's are great.................Allen.............

I could never use 15x's without a tripod. Even 10x's are a little shakey unless you are sitting or leaning against something steady. Do you use a monopod or walking stick to prop them on?

At that price it is a steal, as that is below dealer cost.

Allen,

I don't know how you can use the 15*45 for around the neck glassing either? I've tried that w/ my swarov 15*56's and it just doesn't work. The view is way to jumpy.

I could never use 15x's without a tripod. Even 10x's are a little shakey unless you are sitting or leaning against something steady. Do you use a monopod or walking stick to prop them on?

I agree with DesertBull. You gotta have a tripod if you're using 15's. There is literally no comparison between glassing with one and without one. It definitely makes the difference, it's worth the extra weight on your back and it will assuredly help you find more deer.

The weight on the 15x45 Zeiss is less than the 10x42 swaro's. I dont ever go without a tripod but for different types of hunting like antelope or when you are moving, you sometimes have the 10's around your neck. In this case since you are getting a 5x more bino that weighs the same as the 10x42 and is very crisp, I like the Zeiss. It will never replace my 15x56 SLC's but is still a great piece of glass for the money.......Allen. p.s. I have never used my 15x56's around my neck, never will and know they are way too heavy............

Allen,

The jumpiness of your view is not determined by the weight of the binos very much at all. It is determined by the power. If you have ever used a video camera you know that if you are zoomed in all the way, the picture is jumping all over the place and you feel you need a tripod. When you are zoomed out all the way the picture is as still as can be, even if you move the camera a little bit. Same concept w/ binos.

Treestandman: I am totally sorry if I have irritated or offended in any way. I have used this specific binocular at the advice of Duwane Adams in certain situations like antelope hunting, Kaibab hunting, Mexico muley hunting in the flats and they are pretty good glass. There is no replacement for a tripod and stability. I think in some situations the 15's by Zeiss are pretty good where that extra bit of power can help before you set up to pick an area apart. Here is an example: On the Kaibab it is huge area and you may be moving around alot looking for a big buck. In your looking for this buck, doe groups/bases are important so while moving you will occasionally throw your glasses up to check out areas sometimes a mile away. It is much easier to tell if there is a deer a mile away with 15's than 10's but you dont stop and set up a tripod for these occasional looks. Anyway each person develops a style and I have luckily developed a friendship with Duwane and he has taught me a few things that I really listen too and he just picked up a set of these three years ago and uses them in specific situations that seem to really work. He never has nor never will use them to replace his 15x56 SLC's they are apples to oranges in comparison but the Zeiss for some types of hunting can be a good glass..........again, sorry if I offended.............Allen........

Allen,

No offense taken whatsoever. I was just trying to explain why I though higher powered binos are not good for around the neck glassing. The 8* or 10* are best because the view is more stable. I've tried glassing far off w/ my 15*56's w/out a tripod and it was not effective in the least. Whatever works for you I guess.

I am pretty new to the forum and am wondering what is the biggest reason that many of you mentioned that the swarvos 15x are so much better than the zeiss 15x45? Is there that much difference in the field of view that justifies the money? I have not looked much through either one so I am totally asking as one who doesn't know, not trying to challenge the statement, I was just wondering why. I am in the market and your experience is very valuable :) :) (however thats spelled) :angry:

The biggest difference is that the Swaros are the best you can get...once you buy the Zeiss (like I did) then in the back of your head you'll always remember that you just don't have the best binocs available. So that's why I got myself a pair of Swarovski's this summer :rolleyes: Right now my old man has my Zeiss and when we go out to glass, I notice a pretty decent difference between both binocs in field of view, brightness, clarity, comfort, weight and focusing easiness....we glass right at sundown so the brightness makes a difference in that case. But if it was midday there wouldn't be much difference between the bincos. Lets just say the difference between the Zeiss and Swarovski is the same as the difference between a 80 inch buck and a 95 inch buck...not much difference BUT you would much much rather have that 95 inch buck! The Zeiss would work best for people who are concerned about weight.