Sign in to follow this  
kazpilot25

Scouting 36B Last Weekend

So over the weekend I went down and scouted unit 36B for the early rifle hunt. I know it was opening weekend for archery, but it was the only time I had to get down there for the next month. To my surprise, I saw only one truck down there with 2 archery hunters. Is it pretty normal for 36B to be dead for the early archery hunt?

As for the scouting trip...

post-5901-0-83179800-1346170656_thumb.jpg

I saw between 15 deer total. I'd say there were probably 10-12 doe, a couple forks, and one MASSIVE buck. I took Duwane Adams' glassing class a couple weeks ago and have been itching to put what I learned to use. Before this scouting trip I was never able to glass up a bedded deer, or really any deer unless it was early in the AM and they were close. Well, this trip proved to be different. I glassed up a bedded buck at 1000 yards sitting under a tree at around 9:30am. I glassed up a couple doe that were bedded under trees between 700-1000 yards. Then on the way out, we made one last stop (to pee), and I figured I'd glass while I we were there. I glassed up the biggest buck I've ever seen at about 850 yards bedded under a tree in the shadow. He was a perfect typical 5x5 plus eye guards in full velvet. It was BEAUTIFUL! I watched him for about 30 minutes before he bedded back down and out of site.

post-5901-0-43876100-1346171000_thumb.jpg

It was amazing to me how he literally disappeared when he bedded down the second time. He laid down in the grass in the shadow of a tree and his entire body disappeared. I could only see a small point on his antler.

post-5901-0-12580600-1346171018_thumb.jpg

With such little pressure in there for the archery hunt, I expect him to still be in there come my hunt. I am planning on going back out to try and find him again before the hunt. I was wondering if you guys think he'll still be in the same general area? I figure he should be as everything I've ever read says that they have about a 1 mile home range. Seems pretty big in the scheme of things, but as far as finding him again... Any suggestions?

Also, while down there we were checking out an area that was just about 3/4 mile north of the border and we were in some areas that seemed remote. I was wondering if I were to encounter some smugglers down there, like actually be spotted, would they try to avoid the situation? I'm just wondering because it seems like they could easily snag someone up or shoot you in that area and nobody would ever know. What's the best way to deal with that situation? I am always carrying a loaded sidearm, but just wondering.

Tell me more about this class you took,, please. Cant help you out with your question. Sorry, havent been hunting that long.

• Like 1

Jimmyc, The class is a glassing class that Duwane Adams does. Basically takes you out in the mountains for a couple hours and explains what to look for, how to look, when to look, and you glass and find deer. It was a good experience and he's a great guy. I'm pretty sure he's a sponsor of the site so I can post his website (if not, sorry moderators). It's http://arizonabiggamehunting.com/

• Like 2

Tell me more about this class you took,, please. Cant help you out with your question. Sorry, havent been hunting that long.

+1 I would like to know more, too. Sounds interesting.

Hey kazpilot I would expect the buck to stay fairly close to the area you found him in. If hunting pressures remains small to none. Is there a jr hunt before your October rifle in 36B? If not you are in good shape if there is ample water nearby. I have hunted by Douglas really close to the border in heavily brush area, I have glassed up illegals(worthless trespassing sob's) with drug packs, and no obvious rifles were seen(pistols probably safe to assume someone had one) They were a good ways away, I doubt they saw us we were on the dark side of the mountain at sun rise looking west. BP came over the top of us and we told them that their were illegals booking it up this drainage they said that they had seen them also and there were other agents responding to catch up with them on the other side. This was also during the December hunt close to Chritmas and trafficking is slower closer to Christmas. I would keep a side arm handy keep your wits about you look around and be cautious. I stay away from the washes when hiking into the back country there are more encounters here then up on the mountains.

Hey kazpilot I would expect the buck to stay fairly close to the area you found him in. If hunting pressures remains small to none. Is there a jr hunt before your October rifle in 36B? If not you are in good shape if there is ample water nearby. I have hunted by Douglas really close to the border in heavily brush area, I have glassed up illegals(worthless trespassing sob's) with drug packs, and no obvious rifles were seen(pistols probably safe to assume someone had one) They were a good ways away, I doubt they saw us we were on the dark side of the mountain at sun rise looking west. BP came over the top of us and we told them that their were illegals booking it up this drainage they said that they had seen them also and there were other agents responding to catch up with them on the other side. This was also during the December hunt close to Chritmas and trafficking is slower closer to Christmas. I would keep a side arm handy keep your wits about you look around and be cautious. I stay away from the washes when hiking into the back country there are more encounters here then up on the mountains.

+1 on the washes...my only run-in with illegals was on a stalk cutting through an overgrown wash. Heard voices and quickly backed out and went around that area. Unfortunately blew the stalk since we never saw the buck again.

The Jr. hunt is later in the year so I'm good on that front. The only hunt before mine is the archery hunt, which as I said, I'm not worried about. I'm really hoping he's still in there.

As far as illegals, I ask because when I was down in that little canyon about a mile off the jeep trail, I felt very vulnerable. I got a big wiff of marijuana and I felt like someone was watching my every move. It was a creepy feeling. I was down in an area setting up a trail cam on a saddle so it was pretty low lying.

The Jr. hunt is later in the year so I'm good on that front. The only hunt before mine is the archery hunt, which as I said, I'm not worried about. I'm really hoping he's still in there.

As far as illegals, I ask because when I was down in that little canyon about a mile off the jeep trail, I felt very vulnerable. I got a big wiff of marijuana and I felt like someone was watching my every move. It was a creepy feeling. I was down in an area setting up a trail cam on a saddle so it was pretty low lying.

Pretty sure someone was watching you...I've listened to radio chatter driving through some of those areas and there are spotters up high always communicating. One of my buddies spotted a couple of guys on top of a hill watching him...they were laying very low and still trying to not be seen.

That said, just keep your wits about you and should be fine. They want as little to do with you as you do with them. Just try not to surprise any of them in one of those low areas.

Kasdan, Great to hear you had a good scouting trip! I was hoping to head down there next weekend. I would try to keep my eye on that guy as much as you can!

bigorange,

I've heard a lot about the spotters they have out there, that's why my mind started racing. I just hope they continue to want to remain hidden, not get us to prove a point.

Kaffer,

I'm hoping to keep a close on him. I don't have much time to get out there, but now I have to try every chance I get.

Not a bad idea to take your biggest long range rifle and a small ghillie in your pack if you want to disappear.

People usually don't hunt the southern units for archery in aug, too hot and water is everywhere

As for spotters, I found 3 placesontopof cerro colorados where illegals made a small adobe out of rocks and the view from there was awesome, you could see all the roads

Not a bad idea to spit a bullet towards those adobe during the season!

Where was your bow?

Still working on getting one. Maybe next year? Christmas? Anyone here looking to donate one? ha.

People usually don't hunt the southern units for archery in aug, too hot and water is everywhere

As for spotters, I found 3 placesontopof cerro colorados where illegals made a small adobe out of rocks and the view from there was awesome, you could see all the roads

Not a bad idea to spit a bullet towards those adobe during the season!

That's pretty much what I figured. After about 10am it was too hot to stay out there much longer. I'll have to check out the cerro colorados adobe hut. Sounds pretty neat.