Sign in to follow this  
6ANut

Deep Sea trip

Got the invite to go to my uncle's beach house in Coronado Island and do some deep sea fishing on his boat. We got our first hookup about 10 miles off shore which were few smaller Dorado and yellowtail. Spent most of the morning looking for kelp paddies. The mexican navy was out in force so make sure you have all proper license's and Id's because they will take your boat. Here are a few pictures and yes my left leg looks huge cause you have to have your license on you at all times which was inside my huge wallet, lol.

post-8664-0-10429900-1345477530_thumb.jpg

post-8664-0-66200200-1345477546_thumb.jpg

post-8664-0-42636400-1345477556_thumb.jpg

post-8664-0-33691800-1345477568_thumb.jpg

Looks like a great time! Good trip to take before elk season.

Pretty cool for sure. We have been chartering a boat in san diego for 5 years now and have never seen the dodos so close to shore! Looks like a lot of fun! did you catch them tolling or on paddies with live bait?

Pretty cool for sure. We have been chartering a boat in san diego for 5 years now and have never seen the dodos so close to shore! Looks like a lot of fun! did you catch them tolling or on paddies with live bait?

Yeah those dodos were on a wide open bite most of the morning. We were just paddie hunting and using live bait. Lots of what they were calling "Doritos" were caught, 5 lbs or so. Had a boat tell us he had caught a few dodo's less than 2 miles off shore. For how bad the fishing has been the last few years, this should help the charter boat economy.

Your right about that, the fleet really needed these fish to help. I have been watching the fish counts and even the half day boats have caught some dodos the other day. The boats are fulling up (or close to it) regularly. I will be back in san diego in late septemeber and want to fish at least an overnight trip but I have to check with the boss as it is a family vacation.

I just looked online and there was a 1.5 day boat of 15 anglers that came back with 75 yellowtail and 30 tuna. that is 7 fish a piece. pretty nice haul.

Eating fish that doesn't smell like fish or taste like fish will never get old. I will put fresh fish against any other freshly killed animal, even tasty backstraps or mallard.

Eating fish that doesn't smell like fish or taste like fish will never get old. I will put fresh fish against any other freshly killed animal, even tasty backstraps or mallard.

+1!

Last year I caught 2 bluefin tuna (one of which won the $240 jackpot). The crew filleted the tuna and a few days later I grilled and pan fryed some steaks with a little and pepper and finished them with a some lime juice. They were melt in your mouth great! Nothing can be more true about fresh fish.......it tastes like a lot of good things but NOT fish! The tuna steaks tasted like very mild beef steaks! Cannot wait to catch some more!

A few Pictures of last weekends trip, got into the Blue Fin Tuna. Here is one that my uncle caught and some Dodo's.

post-8664-0-31513200-1346262941_thumb.jpg

post-8664-0-44176500-1346263057_thumb.jpg